This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.47 / 55°28'12"N
Longitude: -4.516 / 4°30'57"W
OS Eastings: 241054
OS Northings: 622452
OS Grid: NS410224
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.XDGL
Mapcode Global: WH3QW.LRRZ
Plus Code: 9C7QFFCM+2J
Entry Name: Gadgirth Mains
Listing Name: Gadgirth Mains
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336213
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4895
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Maybole, North Carrick and Coylton
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Probably early 19th century with late 19th and 20th century additions. Single storey and attic, U-plan, gabled steading (now converted to cottages) with central segmental-arched pend entrance with raised-gabled dovecot above. Painted, rendered masonry to principal (SW), NW and front part of SE elevation; sandstone rubble elsewhere; painted polished ashlar dressings. Eaves course. Raised window margins; long and short quoins.
PRINCIPAL (SW) ELEVATION: 5 bays. Raised gable of dovecot above central pend entrance with recessed, moulded quatrefoil entrance hole. Lower flanking bays with pointed-arch windows at ground (blind) and first floor to left and single rectangular window to right. 2-storey gabled outer bays with round-arched and circular window to left; 2 rectangular windows to right. Slightly recessed entrance lean-to with continuous roof to outer right.
SE ELEVATION: irregular fenestration. 20th century advanced piend-roofed brick-built central bay with full-height stack.
NW ELEVATION: irregular fenestration. Late 19th or early 20th century advanced entrance bay to right with iron stair to door. 2 piend-roofed dormers.
COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: irregular fenestration. Stonework indicates former coachhouses to SW end of side elevations, now glazed. Advanced gabled stable bays at NW end of side elevations. 20th century piend-roofed vehicle shelter to NW corner. Rooflights and piend-roofed dormers.
Variety of glazing patterns in predominantly timber sash and case windows; some non-traditional glazing to NW. Ashlar-coped skews with square skewputts. Painted ashlar gablehead stacks. Grey slate roofs.
A handsome and picturesque steading with intact dovecot over pend entrance occupying a prominent position above the main road between Mossblown and Coylton (B742), and originally part of the estate of Gadgirth House (demolished). The Air [sic] Advertiser of 3 December 1807 contains an advertisement stating that an unnamed farm of 70 to 80 acres on the Gadgirth estate is available to let, and that 'A suitable set of farm offices will be built, next summer'; since Gadgirth was not a large estate, it seems probable that this is the building referred to.
The entrance lean-to at the left end of the principal elevation appears to be original and is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1854-9). The entrance extension at the right end of the north-west elevation is first shown on the 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1907-9). The windows to the left-hand gable of the principal elevation were reopened in the late 20th century, having previously been blocked.