This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6573 / 56°39'26"N
Longitude: -2.7646 / 2°45'52"W
OS Eastings: 353223
OS Northings: 751979
OS Grid: NO532519
Mapcode National: GBR VQ.5PTJ
Mapcode Global: WH7QG.HXRV
Plus Code: 9C8VM64P+W5
Entry Name: Quarry Park Cottage, Balgavies
Listing Name: Quarry Park, Balgavies
Listing Date: 11 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336260
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4946
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Arbroath West, Letham and Friockheim
Traditional County: Angus
1825-1840 single storey, 3-bay vernacular cottage with 1880-1900, single bay, kitchen range to east and late 20th century, single bay addition to west. Later additions are narrower than original cottage. Thinly coursed rubble with tooled ashlar lintels to openings. Centre door. Irregular fenestration to roadside (north) elevation.
Pitched roof with stone slates. End stacks, with that to east gable in brick. 12-pane double glazed windows in sash and case timber frames.
Rubble boundary wall with rubble copes.
The interior was seen in 2014 and appears to have been refurbished in the late 20th/early 21st century. The kitchen has a timber boarded and coombed ceiling.
Quarry Park is a good example of vernacular building in Aberlemno Parish. The cottage has an important association with the local area as it was probably built to accommodate quarriers for Balgavies quarry and is constructed of locally sourced thinly coursed rubble and heavy stone slates. The New Statistical Account written in 1842 records that Aberlemno parish had several quarries in operation and the stone and slate was noted for its quality.
The external traditional form of the mid-19th century cottage is retained, including an uninterrupted roofline and lack of openings to the roadside elevation. This lack of openings is indicative of the cottage's immediate promixity to the original turnpike road between Forfar and Brechin. The later additions to the cottage are clearly discernible and sympathetic to the earlier phases of construction.
Quarry Park Cottage was probably constructed after 1825 as it does not appear on Thomson's map (1825). The 1841 Census refers to two properties called Quarry Pendicles (estate cottages), occupied by William Smith and David Wilkie and their respective families. Quarry Park Cottage is first mapped on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1859 and is marked as Sheep Park. The Ordnance Survey name books of 1857-61 describe Sheep Park as a number of 'pendicles' in the neighbourhood of a quarry belonging to Balgavies Estate, suggesting Quarry Park Cottage is one of the buildings referred to in the 1841 census record. Together, this evidence suggests Quarry Park Cottage was constructed by Balgavies Estate to accommodate quarriers and their families working at Balgavies quarry, which was approximately 0.5km to the east.
The stonework detailing indicates that the building has been constructed in three phases. The earliest phase is the 3-bay symmetrical cottage with centre door. The OS map of 1859 depicts a long rectangular building, probably a cottage with adjoining outhouse to the east, and the apex of the east gable evidences this earlier adjoining building.
In the late 19th century, and as shown on the OS map of 1901, the adjoining east section has been replaced by a slightly lower, single-bay addition, to form a kitchen range. A single bay addition was added to the west gable after 1971, as it was not referred to in the listed building record of this date.
Listed Building Record updated and category changed from B to C in 2014.
Other nearby listed buildings