History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Craigview House, Usan, Montrose

A Category B Listed Building in Montrose, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6952 / 56°41'42"N

Longitude: -2.4609 / 2°27'39"W

OS Eastings: 371873

OS Northings: 756041

OS Grid: NO718560

Mapcode National: GBR VY.G8GN

Mapcode Global: WH8RK.5ZF7

Plus Code: 9C8VMGWQ+3M

Entry Name: Craigview House, Usan, Montrose

Listing Name: Craigview House, Usan, Montrose

Listing Date: 11 June 1971

Last Amended: 11 July 2019

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336271

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4957

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Craig

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Montrose and District

Parish: Craig

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Montrose

Description

A substantial two-storey, three-bay, roughly T-plan, former manse dating to 1843. The house is built in harled rubble with smooth and painted window margins. The piended roof is slated with two ridge chimneystacks. A uPVC conservatory has been added to the southeast elevation of the house.

The symmetrical front (southwest) elevation has a central shallow bow front. The ground floor openings have Tudor hoodmoulds. The windows are predominantly replacement.

The interior (seen in 2019) has moulded cornicing, four-panel doors and window shutters throughout. There are some decorative, arched doorways with more intricate cornicing. There is a central stair with decorative cast iron balusters and a timber handrail and there are some mid-20th century fireplaces in the ground floor rooms.

Attached to the northwest corner is an arched entranceway. This leads into a small courtyard where a 19th century, single storey and attic, rectangular-plan former dairy (converted to a studio) forms the north side. There is a late 20th century, single storey addition to the northwest elevation of this ancillary building.

The house sits within a large garden with a covered well at the northwest corner. A high wall, incorporating the northeast gables of the house and courtyard building, bounds the property at the roadside.

Statement of Interest

Craigview House was built as a Free Church Manse in 1843. The building has previously been known as Free Church Cottage (1851 Census records) and Craig Cottage (1861 Census records). It is first shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1861-62, published 1864).

Inchbrayock Manse is shown as a Free Church Manse on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1861, published 1864) however 1841 census information confirms Craigview House was known as a manse prior to the 1st Edition map.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2019. Previously listed as Craigview House .

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.