This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8029 / 55°48'10"N
Longitude: -4.3189 / 4°19'7"W
OS Eastings: 254750
OS Northings: 659062
OS Grid: NS547590
Mapcode National: GBR 3P.7H90
Mapcode Global: WH3PF.MDLR
Plus Code: 9C7QRM3J+5F
Entry Name: Thornliebank Woodlands Parish Church, Woodlands Road, Thornliebank
Listing Name: Thornliebank (Woodlands) Parish Church
Listing Date: 4 June 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336469
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5130
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Renfrewshire
Electoral Ward: Giffnock and Thornliebank
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
1891 cruciform plan church, with near-contemporary hall
abutting E gable. Chancel extended 1893. Nave orientated E-W,
with paired aisles to N and S. Lower apse, with vestry
addition adjoining at right angles to N. Squared, snecked
and stugged ashlar with cream ashlar dressings; base
course, chamfered reveals. Pointed-arched windows with
plate tracery. Steep gables.
N ELEVATION: gabled porch to outer right; pointed arched
doorway with hoodmould. M-gabled aisles projecting at centre,
each with paired windows at ground, round window with trefoil
to gableheads. Later ?piended vestry addition adjoining
S ELEVATION: paired aisles projecting at centre as above.
W ELEVATION: Two 3-light windows, round window to gablehead.
E ELEVATION: 2-bay chancel adjoining E gable of nave. Coped
ashlar skews, finials to gables, stack to E. E window
dedicated to Alexander Crum 1893, S memorial window to David
Tod, 1912 (see notes).
Single-storey hall adjoining at right angles; gable
breaking eaves to E with tripartite, bellcote to centre
roof-ridge with conical roof and finial. Coped ashlar skews
with angle skewputts, coped stack.
The site for the church was gifted by Alexander Crum and his
brother William in 1891, when a separate parish of
Thornliebank was set up from Eastwood. David Tod of
Eastwood Park was a trustee. This church became known as
Thornliebank Woodlands Parish Church in 1929, and was
united with the Thornliebank Spiersbridge Church of
Scotland as Thornliebank Parish Church in 1977. (The
Spiersbridge Church was later converted into a new hall
for the church.)
Other nearby listed buildings