History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding, Knowehead Cottages, 64-66 Old Glasgow Road, Uddingston

A Category B Listed Building in Bothwell, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.82 / 55°49'12"N

Longitude: -4.0859 / 4°5'9"W

OS Eastings: 269409

OS Northings: 660497

OS Grid: NS694604

Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.689N

Mapcode Global: WH4QH.6ZL5

Plus Code: 9C7QRWC7+2M

Entry Name: Outbuilding, Knowehead Cottages, 64-66 Old Glasgow Road, Uddingston

Listing Name: Uddingston, 64-66 Old Glasgow Road, (Even Nos), Including Outbuilding

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336491

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5148

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bothwell

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston

Parish: Bothwell

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in


Possibly earlier 17th century origins, circa 1629, with later alterations and additions. Pair of rectangular-plan cottages: single storey with attic 3-bay to left (S); single storey 3-bay with lower single bay addition and further lean to addition N end of N cottage. Modern flat-roofed addition to rear of both cottages. Stugged and squared sandstone rubble with roughly defined ashlar surrounds to openings. Eaves course. Monopitch, rectangular-plan outbuilding to N of cottage range: squared sandstone rubble; boarded door to S face; corrugated-iron roof.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: S COTTAGE: 3-bay. Long and short door surround; 2-leaf timber-panelled door. Window at ground with dormer window above in bays flanking. N COTTAGE: 4-bay. Replaced architraved doorway with 2-leaf timber panelled door in bay to centre. Window in each bay flanking. Window in recessed bay to outer right.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: S COTTAGE: 3-bay. Single window at ground set to left of centre. Window to S face of addition in bay to right of centre. Dormer window, set to centre above. N COTTAGE: modern rectangular-plan conservatory spanning rear elevation. Single window to recessed bay to outer left.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: painted gabled wall with addition to left. Window, set to right of gabled wall; gablehead stack above. Window to addition to left.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: boarded door to lean-to addition spanning gabled wall; gablehead stack above.

Variety of glazing patterns including 4-, 6- and 9-pane timber sash and case windows; fixed replacement uPVC windows to no 64; modern glazing to rear. Grey slate roof; corrugated-iron to lean-to addition; modern covering to flat roofed rear additions; ashlar coped stacks to gableheads (replaced stack to N gable and to ridge); ashlar coped skews; cast-iron rainwater goods with some uPVC replacements.

INTERIOR: partially seen, 1997. Timber boarding to dado in hall of no.66.

Statement of Interest

Originally known as Knowehead cottages, they are believed to be the oldest inhabited houses in Uddingston and were built in 1629. Originally used as an inn for travellers on the road from England to Glasgow, later divided into two dwellings. The land of the Knowehead estate had been granted to the Wilkie family in 1629 by the Earl of Angus and Knowehead House stood to the west of these cottages until demolition in 1968. A modern housing estate comprising Knowehead Drive and Knowehead Gardens now occupies the site. B-group with 60 Old Glasgow Road and Easter Farm.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.