This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7054 / 55°42'19"N
Longitude: -4.5717 / 4°34'18"W
OS Eastings: 238503
OS Northings: 648767
OS Grid: NS385487
Mapcode National: GBR 3C.FRS5
Mapcode Global: WH3PP.RV6K
Plus Code: 9C7QPC4H+58
Entry Name: Braehead
Listing Name: Braehead with Former Threshing Barn, Boundary Wall, Gates and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336537
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5189
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Dated 1771; later 19th century attic storey addition; late 20th century alterations. Single-storey and attic, 3-bay cottage with canted piend-roofed dormers, adjoining former byre range (now part of house) and detached former threshing barn to S. Whinstone rubble with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Eaves course, band course linking window and door lintels at original eaves height. Long and short quoins.
HOUSE: central half-glazed timber panelled door to SE (principal) elevation; flanking windows; 2 dormers to roof. Slightly lower former byre range to NE (right) with irregularly spaced windows and half-glazed doors. Rendered gable to NE with lean-to outshot at ground and small window at attic. NW (rear) elevation: 3 windows to original cottage; irregular fenestration to former byre; Victorian outshot to centre.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to front; predominantly timber double-glazed windows to rear. Coped gablehead stacks with some yellow clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slates.
FORMER THRESHING BARN: single storey, gabled barn with eaves course and ashlar-coped skews. Central doorway with flanking slit windows to SW and NE elevations. 3 slit windows (2 at ground and 1 to gable apex) to NW and SE (gable) elevations. Graded grey slate.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERS: all late 20th century. Random rubble drystone boundary wall. Simple sandstone ashlar gatepiers. Wrought-iron hooped gates.
The best-preserved longhouse in the parish, occupying a prominent position on Aiket Road. The cottage, which was originally the same height as the byres, has had its roof raised at some time in the late Victorian period. This alteration is clearly visible on the front elevation, and the gable. The former threshing barn is a remarkably unaltered example of its type. The OS maps show a horse mill adjacent to its SW elevation. The arrangement of 3 slit windows on the gable is exactly the same as at Leahead (next door), although this byre is almost certainly older. The boundary wall has been recently erected (2003), but the gates and gatepiers appear to be old, and have probably been moved from somewhere nearby. John Gilmour of Braehead was one of the parish church Heritors, and is mentioned in the Heritors' minutes of 1838.