History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Street, Church Hall (Former Free Church) with Boundary Wall, Gates and Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Dunlop, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.7124 / 55°42'44"N

Longitude: -4.5367 / 4°32'12"W

OS Eastings: 240732

OS Northings: 649472

OS Grid: NS407494

Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F1RV

Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.8PX4

Entry Name: Main Street, Church Hall (Former Free Church) with Boundary Wall, Gates and Railings

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336543

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5195

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunlop

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Annick

Parish: Dunlop

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in


1845 with later addition to rear. 2-storey rectangular-plan gabled former Free Church with bellcote, clock and hoodmoulded windows to S (principal) elevation. Coursed, squared sandstone to S elevation, random rubble to rear and sides, ashlar dressings. Raised margins and roll-moulded hoodmoulds to openings on S elevation; droved ashlar margins to side windows.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: later 2-leaf timber boarded door to centre; bipartite mullioned window above; square clock-face with scooped corners to gable apex. Slightly baroque style bellcote with round-arched openings and finial surmounted by weather vane. Two tall windows flanking door.

E & W ELEVATIONS: tall windows in 3 bays to each elevation; later additions to N.

Non-traditional uPVC windows. Graded grey slate. Ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: lobby with stone stairs to gallery. Main hall: timber gallery (now boxed in) supported on 2 cast-iron columns; timber-boarded panelling to dado; 2 small stained glass windows (1933).

BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE: low sandstone boundary wall with ashlar coping; cast-iron railings above; 2-leaf cast-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

Known locally as the High Church. It was built as the Free Church soon after the Disruption of 1843 and is a good example of an early Free Church building, it was later the United Free Church, and remained in use until 1958, when the congregation merged with that of the Parish Church. It is now used as the church hall. The bell cost £20 and was a gift of Miss Dunlop of Dunlop. The church is situated prominently at the top end of the village, and makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.