This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7121 / 55°42'43"N
Longitude: -4.5394 / 4°32'21"W
OS Eastings: 240561
OS Northings: 649442
OS Grid: NS405494
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F159
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.7PNC
Plus Code: 9C7QPF66+R6
Entry Name: 86 Main Street, Dunlop
Listing Name: 86, 88, and 90 Main Street with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336568
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5200
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1820 with later alterations. 2-storey, rectangular-plan tenement comprising 3-bay house with Doric doorpiece to right (Nos 86 and 88); 2-bay wing to centre (Nos 88 and 90 ' see Notes); and former cheese store (now converted to residential) to left. Painted, rendered sandstone with painted sandstone ashlar dressings; sandstone rubble with sandstone dressings to former cheese store. Base course, eaves cornice, raised quoin strips; raised door and window margins to Nos 88/90; moulded window architraves to Nos 86/88. Regular fenestration to 86/88; non-traditional uPVC door to No 86 in recessed porch with fluted Doric columns supporting architrave with blocking course. Irregular fenestration with later timber-boarded doors and tripartite window at ground to 88/90. Mid 20th century additions to rear. Former cheese store with sliding timber-boarded garage door at ground; window (formerly door) and slit window at 1st floor; 2003-4 extension to outer left.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Corniced stacks with thack-stanes and predominantly octagonal yellow clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: half-glazed timber-panelled lobby doors with decorative frosted glass to Nos 88 and 90. Plain cornicing throughout No 88.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATE: coped random rubble boundary wall to front garden of No 86; spear-headed railings and gate to street; chamfered sandstone ashlar gatepiers with rounded tops; rubble and brick boundary wall to rear.
B Group with 64-82 Main Street (even numbers), 86-92 Main Street (even numbers) and 75-95 Main Street (odd numbers). A fine pair of late Georgian townhouses, converted to tenement before 1910. The internal division is somewhat surprising: number 86 occupies the ground floor of the right-hand building; number 90 occupies the left-hand building; number 88, whose front door is in the left-hand building, actually occupies the upper floor of the right-hand building.
The plastic front door to No 86 replaces a very fine 9-panel timber door.
Dunlop was an important cheese-making centre in the 18th and 19th century. At that time the best way to sell the milk produced by the local farms was to turn it into cheese, and Dunlop cheese was famous throughout the region. Rather than market the cheese themselves, the farmers would sell to a middle-man cheese-dealer, who would store it in a building such as this. This cheese store is believed to be the only one surviving in the village, and is an important reminder of Dunlop's history. Cheese-making declined in the twentieth century, as improved transport made it easier to sell milk. No cheese is made commercially in Dunlop anymore (2004).