This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 59.3646 / 59°21'52"N
Longitude: -2.4335 / 2°26'0"W
OS Eastings: 375454
OS Northings: 1053225
OS Grid: HY754532
Mapcode National: GBR N3BZ.KW5
Mapcode Global: XH9S1.NW29
Plus Code: 9CFV9H78+RH
Entry Name: Old Kirk, Hollandstoun, North Ronaldsay
Listing Name: North Ronaldsay, Old Kirk, (Formerly Free Church), Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336678
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5273
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cross and Burness
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Parish: Cross And Burness
Traditional County: Orkney
1812; belltower, probably T S Peace, 1906. 4 x single bay, rectangular-plan, crowstepped-gabled church with square-plan, 3-stage, crenellated belltower to E gable and low vestry to W. Harled. Corbelled string course below crenellations to tower.
E (GABLED, ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded doors to S of lean-to porch in re-entrant angle between gable and tower; window to gablehead above. Window at each stage (top opening louvered) to tower offset to right of centre; window (louvered) in each remaining face at 3rd stage.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: evenly disposed window in each of 4 bays.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: blank
W (VESTRY) ELEVATION: centred, gabled vestry advanced from W gable; gablehead stack; window below main church gable above.
Fixed timber, margin-paned windows to main church; 4-pane timber sash and case windows to tower; louvered openings at 3rd stage. Graded stone tiled roof; stone ridge; rubble, corniced gablehead stack with tall can to vestry; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fielded, timber, coombed ceiling; timber staircases to timber-panelled gallery at each (E and W) end; tiered timber pews; timber pews beneath at ground; centred, carved timber octagonal pulpit to S wall; blind gothic arch decoration; cast-iron balusters with timber handrail; brass candle sconces flanking; adjustable timber bookrest with functioning cast-iron mechanism; timber-panelled sounding board; centred, carved timber organ opposite to N wall.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble walls enclosing rectangular-plan churchyard to SW of church; harled, corniced, square-plan gatepiers to S wall; timber gates.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. A plain, crowstepped Parliamentary Church, given a belltower to house a bell donated by W H Traill who also donated the massive pulpit. As T S Peace was working on the neighbouring Holland House, the home of the Traill family in 1905, it seems highly probable that he also worked on the church at that time. B-group with Holland House and Steading.
Other nearby listed buildings