History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haa, Fair Isle

A Category B Listed Building in Shetland South, Shetland Islands

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 59.5162 / 59°30'58"N

Longitude: -1.6428 / 1°38'34"W

OS Eastings: 420314

OS Northings: 1070078

OS Grid: HZ203700

Mapcode National: GBR Q39L.20V

Mapcode Global: XHBZJ.Z2SK

Plus Code: 9CFWG984+FV

Entry Name: Haa, Fair Isle

Listing Name: Fair Isle, Haa of Fair Isle, Including Garage and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 18 October 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336916

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5447

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunrossness

County: Shetland Islands

Electoral Ward: Shetland South

Parish: Dunrossness

Traditional County: Shetland

Find accommodation in
North Ronaldsay

Description

Early 18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical gabled haa of rectangular plan with later lean-to addition to rear (N) and single storey piend-roofed wing to E. Limewashed rubble walls.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, windows at ground and 1st floor in each bay; entrance door at ground between centre and right bay; small window above at eaves. Window in single storey, single bay wing at right.

W GABLE: 2-bay asymmetrical elevation comprising windows at ground and first floor in right and left bays respectively; later single storey, single bay lean-to wing at left.

Deep-set multi-pane timber sash and case windows. Stone slab graded roof with boldly crowstepped skews and coped rubble stacks with circular cans.

GARAGE: modern gabled garage in matching style and materials to N.

BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walls.

Statement of Interest

Walter Scott was entertained by the Master of Fair Isle here in 1814. The 96 merks of land that was Fair Isle were acquired sometime in the early 17th century by the Sinclairs of Quendale. When the Quendale estates were bankrupted in 1766, the Stewarts of Brough in Orkney bought the island, and it was a hundred years until it reverted back to Shetland ownership under the Bruces of Sumburgh.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.