This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9318 / 55°55'54"N
Longitude: -4.2745 / 4°16'28"W
OS Eastings: 258003
OS Northings: 673307
OS Grid: NS580733
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.ZCPD
Mapcode Global: WH3NW.95SF
Plus Code: 9C7QWPJG+P6
Entry Name: Robinsfield, Bardowie
Listing Name: Bardowie, Robinsfield House, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 17 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 337210
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5724
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
The original early 19th century house is thought to have been largely extended and remodelled by R M Stevenson, a prominent member of the Glasgow School of painters, as a home and studio for himself. Terraces to north of house look over Bardowie Loch to Bardowie Castle. The original listed building record (1997) noted that the design of the extension was a collaboration between Charles Rennie Mackintosh and R M Stevenson, including the main staircase. This was reputedly said by Stevenson's daughter in the 1980s, however there is no documentary evidence to support this and the building does not resemble any of Mackintosh's known works. Mackintosh did however produce a rough plan of the studio and made notes for internal redecoration around 1910. (Mackintosh Architecture)
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.
Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.
Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.
Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.
Listed building record revised in 2019.