This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0302 / 57°1'48"N
Longitude: -3.2092 / 3°12'33"W
OS Eastings: 326700
OS Northings: 793879
OS Grid: NO267938
Mapcode National: GBR W7.C3ZB
Mapcode Global: WH6MC.PK0G
Plus Code: 9C9R2QJR+38
Entry Name: Cottage, Royal Lochnagar Distillery
Listing Name: Royal Lochnagar Distillery, Former Steading Offices, Manager's House and Ancillary Structures
Listing Date: 11 October 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 337763
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6230
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1845 with some later 19th and 20th century alterations. Group of distinctive buildings forming purpose-built distillery, with Manager's house to NE; internally modernised but still retaining many fine original features. Coursed grey granite rubble. 4-storey double pile former maltings building (now warehouse) with regularly spaced small shuttered or hoist door openings. U-plan steading (now visitors' centre) with 7 former cart arches to E, between advanced blank gable ends, N and S, and now with boarded 2-leaf timber leaf doors. Pyramid roofed mash house. Complex of single story office buildings to N, including 3-bay cottage. Tall brick chimney to S.
Variety of fenestration, but predominantly timber surrounds. Grey slate roofs. Some gable stacks. Brown painted iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: extensively modernised interiors throughout, but still retaining an old, open top mash tun with rakes, and rows of iron columns in former maltings.
MANAGER'S HOUSE: 2-storey, 3-bay house with timber gabled porch. Coursed grey and pink granite. Timber sash and case windows, 2 gable stacks and purple slates. White-painted rainwater goods.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey outhouse. Granite rubble with 8-pane timber casement window and timber door.
A good example of a group of mid 19th century distillery buildings still in use. The distillery has been in operation since its inception in 1845, and although it has undergone various changes since then, some of the original buildings and features are still intact. John Begg was granted a lease to build the distillery in 1845, after a previous distillery on this site burnt down in 1841. It was visited by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1848, after which Mr Begg received a Royal Warrant and the brand name was changed to Royal Lochnagar. Substantial but sensitive alterations were accomplished in the late 20th century to accommodate visitors and to allow for modern distilling practices.
Other nearby listed buildings