This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3095 / 56°18'34"N
Longitude: -3.2651 / 3°15'54"W
OS Eastings: 321827
OS Northings: 713723
OS Grid: NO218137
Mapcode National: GBR 25.6JDF
Mapcode Global: WH6QT.TNCZ
Entry Name: Pitmenzie Old Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 November 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338200
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6569
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
18th century, single-storey former croft house and attached byre; house with 1715 marriage lintel; both recast and re-roofed during 19th century. Built on sloping site, byre to S, house on rising ground to N; site also falls away to W, giving full-height entrance elevations to W and shortened E elevations to road. Whin rubble masonry with rubble footings to W; openings with brick reveals and sandstone ashlar lintels, doors with ashlar quoins with rounded arrises. Wall-heights slightly raised, original steep pitch of (slightly swept) roofs slightly reduced when heightened (cement patching at gables); house roof with timber A-frame couples; both roofs pantiled, with slightly overhanging eaves and tiled ridges (ridge tiles to house mostly lost); no stacks.
HOUSE: 3-bay, symmetrical W elevation with central entance with stop-chamfered lintel, inscribed, "17-HK-heart0MW-15"; vertically-boarded door with cast-iron hinges; small square window openings to either side, lintels at same height as door lintel; wall-height raised above lintels, and with loft opening breaking through eaves off-centre to left, with timber cill and reveals, and catslide pantilled roof swept back into main roof; E elevation blind except for tine vent opening, with half-brick reveals.
INTERIOR: ?former fireplae at N gable, and small rectangular recess, probably for salt, to left.
BYRE linked to house, at lower ground level to S with single door opening at centre on W elevation, and small single opening (bricked up during 19th century) at ground on E elevation.
Increasingly rare type of an unaltered traditional farm building, once prevalent in the area: "The Clink" farmhouse nearby was of a similar type, with dated lintel (1733), now modernised, with cement render, concrete lintels to new slappings and new pantiles. Recently in farmhouse (both parts in use as byres, lime-washed inside, house with stalls, byre with concrete drainage chanel at centre of floor), but currently with planning permission for change of use to a dwelling-house (1992). Adjacent farmhouse (to S) is later (early 19th century), and modernised.
Other nearby listed buildings