History in Structure

Denovan House

A Category B Listed Building in Denny, Falkirk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0287 / 56°1'43"N

Longitude: -3.8945 / 3°53'40"W

OS Eastings: 282036

OS Northings: 683372

OS Grid: NS820833

Mapcode National: GBR 1F.S123

Mapcode Global: WH4PM.4QRQ

Plus Code: 9C8R24H4+F6

Entry Name: Denovan House

Listing Name: Denovan House, Dunipace

Listing Date: 6 February 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338289

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6631

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200338289

Location: Denny

County: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Denny and Banknock

Parish: Denny

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


2-storey and basement villa, with complex building sequence, largely of mid 19th century appearance, but incorporating periods of earlier and later work. Circa mid-later 18th century Georgian villa, possibly of 2 different dates at core, substantially recast in 1843-45 in the manner of Burn and Bryce (Jacobethan style), with entirely new S front and partial interior remodelling. Large 1911 additions to rear (N).

1840'S ELEVATIONS: cream polished ashlar with channelled rustication at ground floor, long and short rusticated quoins, plinth and basecourse, cornice between ground and 1st floors; plain frieze swept to dentilled cornice, with vigorously moulded consoles in frieze above windows, advanced bays pedimented or with blocking courses, plain parapet elsewhere; side (E and W) elevations of 1840's period of finely-

tooled squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Architraved single and tripartite windows; projecting window bays with openwork strapwork parapets. Timber sash and case windows, each sash in 1840's windows divided horizontally into 2 panes. Shallow-pitched slated roofs; grouped, square-shafted ashlar stacks.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, full-height pedimented projecting bay to left, 2-window set-back centre, overlaid to left with entrance porch; advanced full-height rectangular bay to right. Porch with lugged and cured 'baroque' style architraved doorpiece, moulded keystone and openwork parapet; ashlar seat within porch to left.

Georgian elevations visible only to left of side (W) elevation and to right of rear (N) elevation; large harled additions of 1911 period mask rear elevation to left.

CONSERVATORY: to right of S front, attached to E gable. Circa later 19th century, built over site of side wing: timber and cast-iron with mullioned windows with leaded upper lights. Pitched roof, with pitched-roofed clerestory with cast-iron cresting at ridge; apex finial to SW gable.

INTERIOR: 3 unaltered principal rooms at ground floor: to E a DRAWING ROOM with Caroline-style interior, including moulded door architraves with curved and corniced Caroline-style interior, including moulded door architraves with curved and corniced Caroline-style over-doors, doors and cupboard doors panelled below, glazed over dado in geometrical designs; baroque marble chimneypiece with ionic fluted column stiles with canted volutes, pulvinated frieze, dentiled and corniced entablature, and relief carvings to slip, central tablet with high-relief mask carving, floral swags flanking, original brass of grate and gilt rococco mirror overmantel (painted); cornice and gilt plasterwork border to ceiling; 4 original pendant lights; 19th century curtains with pelments.

To W, BILLIARD and DINING ROOMS, both with very elaborate Jacobethan-style interior schemes, remodelled during 1840s period. DINING ROOM: very elaborate Jacobethan strapwork cornice and vigorously moulded plasterwork ceiling; chimneypiece circa 1800, recast in 1840's wsith large consoles and mouldings in Jacobethan manner, original circa 1800 brass grate; 19th century curtains with pelmets; black and gold paint scheme. BILLIARD ROOM: similar to dinning room, with strapwork plasterwork cornice; some alterations.

STAIR HALL: remodelled in 1840's: half-height wainscot, panelled 2-leaf doors, architraves and Caroline-style overdoors; Jacobethan-style plasterwork ceiling. Timber staircase with 6-light stained glass windows at half-landing. Chimneypiece removed to steading (1992).

Large cast-iron safe in (modernised kitchen adjacent to dining room. FIRST FLOOR bedrooms simpler, proportions and joinery revealing 2 different periods: circa 1840's remodelling largely at W rooms, with floor stepping down and ceiling-heights reduced in Georgian rooms to E. Georgian kitchen in basement to E, and ex situ pieces of Georgian grates.

GATEPIERS: pair short cream polished ashlar piers of 1843-45 period on entrance to house, square-plan with arched recessed planes to each elevation, arches with keyblocks at apices, and rounded corniced caps.

Statement of Interest

Lands belongs to James Johnstone of Denovan until Mr James Grahasm Adam acquired a portion of the estate, with a bleachfield, and altered and hugely extended the house in 1843-5. The Mitchells of Carron Iron Co also once lived here.

Mid 19th century stables and offices to N now altered.

Plan RHP 1497A shows a house at the centre of radiating formal avenues to each point on the compass, and diagonally, like a saltire cross, and with a bleachfield to the E.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.