This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2794 / 57°16'45"N
Longitude: -3.8282 / 3°49'41"W
OS Eastings: 289877
OS Northings: 822454
OS Grid: NH898224
Mapcode National: GBR J9XH.34M
Mapcode Global: WH5JS.599C
Plus Code: 9C9R75HC+QP
Entry Name: Waiting Room, Carrbridge Station
Listing Name: Carrbridge Station Including Platform Shelters and Footbridge
Listing Date: 21 October 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338296
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6636
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Parish: Duthil And Rothiemurchus
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Highland Railway, 1892. 2-platform through station with gabled, single-storey, timber and brick principal building on down platform.
W (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: central section recessed with awning infill supported on cast-iron columns and wooden brackets. Advanced gabled to right with slate-roofed canted-bay window; gable to left with later, timber signal cabin projection in similar style. End pavilions slightly advanced with gables to E (road) elevation. Windows irregularly spaced, three panes high with top hopper opening. Louvred ventilators in upper parts of rear gables. Open eaved roof with prominent rafter ends.
Timber framed windows. Grey slate to roof. Chimney stacks red and white brick, with stone copes: centre stack has octagonal cans. Stack at NW end rises from exposed brick chimney breast.
PLATFORM SHELTERS: single-pitch roofed, timber-clad shelter on up side and building in similar style on down platform.
FOOTBRIDGE: steel and cast-iron lattice-girder footbridge of standard Highland Railway type.
Carrbridge Station is the largest of the timber-clad station buildings built by the Highland Railway in the 1890s as part of their direct line to Inverness and one of only a small number that remain in operation (2013). The cast-iron columned, timber bracketed awning and polychromatic brick stacks are characteristic of Highland Railways station buildings of the period. The glazed outshot to the left gable originally housed signalling instruments and was added by the newly formed British Rail (Scottish Region) in around 1950 in a similar style to the timber-framed building.
List Description updated (2013).
Other nearby listed buildings