This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8337 / 55°50'1"N
Longitude: -3.0895 / 3°5'22"W
OS Eastings: 331853
OS Northings: 660592
OS Grid: NT318605
Mapcode National: GBR 60VZ.XM
Mapcode Global: WH6T7.JM0N
Entry Name: Carrington Village, Carrington Kirk, Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338310
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6647
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
1710. Single storey, 3-bay, traditional T-plan church with square-plan tower. Random pink sandstone rubble with droved and polished dressings. Base course; moulded eaves cornice. Chamfered reveals; pointed-arched, diamond-glazed, Y-traceried window inserted by Thomas Brown, 1838; long and short quoins; boarded timber doors.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 3-stage entrance tower with spire advanced to centre; doorway (formerly leading to pulpit) to centre of ground floor with tooled lintel reading "1710"; 8-pane fanlight surmounted by ogee-arched louvred opening; small single pane window to left return. 3rd stage former dovecot, round-arched louvred opening to centre of each elevation; flightholes under eaves. Ironwork weathervane and cockerel to apex of spire. Windows to flanking bays to left and right; 2-leaf doorways flanking to outer left and right. 2 sundials symmetrically placed on left and right angles
E ELEVATION: symmetrical; window to centre, remains of former window above.
N ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3-bay; gabled bay to centre advanced with large pane, pointed-arched window to centre; infilled window below; window to right return; window to left return, flanked to right by 2-leaf door with 8-pane fanlight; flanking bay to right blank; bay to left infilled window to right of ground floor; infilled window with carved pediment to left of 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical; window to centre surmounted by large pane window.
Predominantly pointed-arched, diamond-pane windows. Graded grey slate roof and grey slate ridge. Stone skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: mezzanined interior by Crighton Lang, Willis and Galloway, 1980's. Timber roof with kingpost trusses survives.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2-leaf timber gates, flanked by coursed yellow sandstone octagonal gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Sandstone rubble boundary wall with flat and rubble coping, incorporating Session House (see separate listing).
Carrington Kirk, which was originally harled, superseded a earlier structure which was near the present church. It belonged to the Abbey of Scone from the 12th century until 1374 which it was swapped for the more convenient Church of Blair. William Knox, nephew of John Knox was minister between 1567 and 1592. The present church is particularly important as the tower is in the long elevation, a distinctive Presbyterian arrangement. The exterior of the church survives in good condition, the only major alterations being the windows by Thomas Brown in 1838. The traces of both low and high windows suggest that there were originally galleries within the church, which would probably have been retained by Brown and Wardrop when they refurbished the interior in 1858. The church closed for worship in 1975, and has since been converted into an office. Thomas Brown also carried out work on Carrington Manse (now Carrington Hill, see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings