This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0636 / 56°3'49"N
Longitude: -3.2608 / 3°15'38"W
OS Eastings: 321596
OS Northings: 686361
OS Grid: NT215863
Mapcode National: GBR 25.PZB4
Mapcode Global: WH6RZ.WVFD
Entry Name: Newbigging House with Gatepiers, Gates, Railings Boundary Walls and Lodge House
Listing Date: 18 June 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338346
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6674
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1825, pavilions added circa 1830. 2-storey, 3-bay laird's house with single storey, recessed, piended pavilions and lean-to addition to rear. Harled with painted and dressed margins, quoin strips, base, band and eaves courses, cavetto eaves cornice and blocking course.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Flight of 12 scale- and-platt steps lead to deep-set, panelled centre door with diamond-patterned fanlight in pilastered doorcase, with cornice with clocking course against band course bearing inscribed date and with small decorative lamp bracket (gas?) above; windows in flanking bays and in pavilions; regular windows at 1st floor; small modern rooflights to right and left.
N ELEVATION: dominant lean-to extension to centre and right with 4 windows, deep-set panelled door on return to left with window to outer left; 3 regular bays at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: single storey wing to centre piended clear of window above and adjoining projecting chimney breast to right, smaller lean-to porch to outer right with door to N; window to left at ground.
W ELEVATION: single storey wing to centre piended clear of window above, window to right at ground, further window to left at ground, extension to outer left undergoing repair (1994) with blocked former door.
Mainly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, 6-pane upper and plate glass lower sashes to all ground floor windows except to N, W and W wing. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar skews and gablehead stacks with polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: entrance vestibule to inner-door with etched glass panel and glazed fanlight with decorative astragals echoing outer door, decorative cast-iron baluster with wooden handrail and timber fireplaces with cast-iron inserts. Decorative plasterwork cornicing and ceiling rose and dado height timber panelling.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: low saddleback-coped ashlar terrace wall with small flat-coped piers flanking steps to main entrance with decorative cast-iron railings. Extensive coped rubble boundary walls with pyramid capped ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gates.
LODGE HOUSE: adjoining gatepier to SE of property. Single storey, 3-bay piend-roofed house with flat-roofed, dry-dash extension to W; harled with architraved windows and chamfered arrises. Entrance to E with 5 steps leading to centre bipartite door with plate glass fanlight, windows in flanking bays, window to N and S. Centre ashlar-coped brick stack with polygonal can.
Newbigging farm, harbour and limestone quarry were owned by the Carron Company. The census of 1836 records Newbigging, together with Colinswell and Grange, as residences of Messrs Young of the Grange Distillery. The nearby Newbigging Dovecot is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings