This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0604 / 56°3'37"N
Longitude: -3.2617 / 3°15'42"W
OS Eastings: 321532
OS Northings: 686002
OS Grid: NT215860
Mapcode National: GBR 25.Q56G
Mapcode Global: WH6RZ.WX0W
Entry Name: Starleybank with Terrace, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 31 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338351
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6678
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Mid to later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay house with piend and platform roof. Droved ashlar with long and shortwork quoins, polished margins, band and eaves courses, moulded cornice and stone mullions.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: deep-set panelled door with letterbox fanlight in moulded doorcase, chamfered window to right, window to left behind modern conservatory; 1st floor with chamfered window to right, window at centre and to left. Outer right, slightly recessed coped, rendered wall with centre window (blind for garage).
W ELEVATION: modern conservatory at right obscuring door, small window at centre ground with window to left, further window and door at outer left in single storey wing; 1st floor with tiny window at centre.
N ELEVATION: single storey wing to centre and right at ground, window to left, 3 windows at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: modern dry-dashed garage extension at ground centre and left, window to right; single storey wing with timber door to left and adjacent window, timber door to outer right.
Plate glass, 8- and 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, modern small-pane fixed windows at E. Grey slates and hipped, coped ashlar stacks with moulded cans.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with encaustic tiles leading to part glazed tripartite vestibule screen with leaded flanking lights of coloured glass and plate glass fanlights. Curved stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail, stair window frosted with coloured margins. Some decorative cornicing and plasterwork; chimneypieces, 1 with tile slips and decorated cast-iron fireback.
TERRACE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble terrace wall with square-coped piers, steps down to coursed rubble boundary walls with semicircular ashlar coping and pyramid-coped ashlar gatepiers.
Starleybank was built prior to 1862 by Mr Hutchison, Session Clerk for Burntisland Parish Church who saved some panels from the old pulpit destroyed 1822 and from an 1862 Church refit, and later used them to line a summer house built to a design similar to the original pulpit. Mr Young saw the building and commented upon "this interesting house, lined with beautiful old oak panels of various patterns". The present owner saved 2 of these panels from the derelict building some years ago. By 1890 the building was occupied by John Wishart, manager of Grange distillery, and in 1960 the proprietor was British Aluminium.
Other nearby listed buildings