History in Structure

Castle Cottage, Brodick Castle, Arran

A Category C Listed Building in Ardrossan and Arran, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.5951 / 55°35'42"N

Longitude: -5.1522 / 5°9'7"W

OS Eastings: 201481

OS Northings: 638010

OS Grid: NS014380

Mapcode National: GBR FFNX.NS0

Mapcode Global: WH1MQ.TMRK

Plus Code: 9C7PHRWX+34

Entry Name: Castle Cottage, Brodick Castle, Arran

Listing Name: Brodick Castle Estate, Castle Cottage and Greenhyde Cottage

Listing Date: 8 August 1995

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338497

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6795

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200338497

Location: Kilbride

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Ardrossan and Arran

Parish: Kilbride

Traditional County: Buteshire

Tagged with: Cottage

Find accommodation in


1885. Pair of single-storey, rectangular-plan cottages built on N-S falling ground on either side of a track. Castle Cottage to E, Greenhyde to W. Granite rubble, red ashlar sandstone dressings, grey slate roofs. Windows mostly timber sash and case; coped ashlar end and ridge stacks with tall black cans.

CASTLE COTTAGE: W (FRONT) ELEVATION: modern half-glazed door to centre right, 2-pane window to right, 12-pane to far right, 3 windows to left comprising 8-lying-pane to centre flanked by 12-pane to left and right. Pitched roof store, with door, to S gable. E (REAR) ELEVATION: boarded door to centre right, miniature 2-pane window to right and 12-pane window to far right, 2-light window to left, 8-lying-pane to far left, early 20th century projecting window to outer left. INTERIOR (Seen 2010): plasterboard walls and ceilings. Low fireplace of painted coursed stone with timber mantelshelf.

GREENHYDE COTTAGE: E (FRONT) ELEVATION: door to centre, window to left and right with miniature 2-pane window immediately to right of door. Lean-to store with external door to S. Lean-to store with blocked doorway and small horizontal window inserted on N. W (REAR) ELEVATION: 8-lying-pane window to centre, 12-pane window to left and right. INTERIOR: plasterboard walls and ceilings. Low fireplace of plastered stone with timber mantelshelf. Vertically board timber doors.

Statement of Interest

Part of A Group at Brodick Castle Estate comprising: Brodick Castle; Bavarian Summerhouse; Cnocan Burn Road Bridge; Greenhyde and Castle Cottages; Ice House; Walled Garden; the Nursery; Main Gates, West Gates and Coastal Boundary Walls; South Gates; Sylvania and Brodick Kennels.

Unusual for estate cottages of this date, the archaic type of construction, and vernacular allusions, were a deliberate attempt to evoke an earlier era and provide rustic scenery on the perambulation from the castle to the 'Seven Bridges Walk' up the Mill Burn. Castle Cottage, the larger of the houses, was originally 2 separate dwellings. The cottages comprise a pair of estate workers' dwellings, formerly thatched and rendered, as shown in Washington Wilson's photograph - Greenhyde retains harling to rear. In 1954, already a single house, it was occupied by a retired couple responsible for stoking the boiler in Brodick Castle and for kitchen duties, while Greenhyde was a 2-roomed house occupied by a pensioner responsible for looking after chickens and plucking game. The internal arrangements have been changed since then.

Brodick Castle Estate, now a discreet entity, was originally the nucleus of the Lands of Arran. Fought over during the Scottish War of Independence, it was transformed into an Earldom and granted to James Hamilton by his cousin, King James IV, in 1503. The Isle of Arran remained as one of the minor estates of the Dukes of Hamilton until the late 19th century. Agricultural improvements in the 18th century, culminating in the clearances of the early 19th century, eventually displaced the small scale and subsistence farming on the island. In the mid-19th, improved transportation made Brodick an attractive picturesque resort and hunting destination for the Hamiltons and the castle was substantially rebuilt with the area around it laid out as gardens and pleasure grounds. On the death of the 12th Duke, in 1895, Brodick passed to the future Duchess of Montrose. In 1957 the Castle and the policies immediately surrounding were conveyed to the National Trust for Scotland.

To the N of Castle Cottage, a chicken rearing house, of harled brick with slated piend roof, circa 1930, is ancillary to the cottage group.

In 1982 both cottages were completely refurbished provided with new floors and re-roofed. Currently used as accommodation for staff and volunteers.

The cottages were previously listed individually. List description revised and category changed from B to C(S) as part of the National Trust for Scotland Estates Review, 2010-11.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.