This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7793 / 55°46'45"N
Longitude: -2.149 / 2°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 390752
OS Northings: 654009
OS Grid: NT907540
Mapcode National: GBR F1FM.K3
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.YZVW
Plus Code: 9C7VQVH2+PC
Entry Name: Hutton Church And Churchyard
Listing Name: Hutton, Hutton Church (Church of Scotland) Including Burial Vault, Graveyard, War Memorial, Boundary Walls, Railings, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338524
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6815
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1834 on site of previous church (1765); later additions and alterations including internal modernisation 1934; re-roofing 1961. 2- by 6-bay, rectangular-plan Romanesque church with 3-stage, engaged, square-plan tower to NE corner; single storey projections at rear. Coursed and tooled cream sandstone to E and S; sandstone rubble to N and W; sandstone ashlar dressings throughout. Stepped base in part; cill courses; continuous string courses linking windows (at spring level) to E, S and W; corbel-table at eaves to S and N with round-arched decorative frieze above; plain parapets; zig-zag moulding to E gable end. Shallow angle buttresses throughout; shallow buttresses dividing bays to E and S. Round-arched windows to E and S with flanking colonnettes (cushion capitals to S; scalloped capitals to E); roll-moulded arches with billet-frieze detail; plain, round-arched windows to W and N. Separate mid 17th century single storey, rectangular-plan burial vault in graveyard to NW. Principal block with round-arched windows to E and S
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-stage, square-plan tower projecting to right with base course; cill courses; string courses linking windows (at spring level); corbel-table at eaves. Angle buttresses at 1st and 2nd stages; engaged angle colonnettes at upper stage. Round-arched bipartite windows with flanking colonnettes and columnar mullions (cushion capitals). Round-arched entrance centred at ground; round-arched boarded timber door with decorative hinges; paired, flanking colonnettes with scalloped capitals. Bipartite window aligned at 1st floor; louvred, bipartite window aligned above. Gable end recessed to left with single windows flanking central buttress; narrow louvred openings flanking centre above; surmounting finial.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal 6-bay block with regularly-spaced single windows in all bays between buttresses. 3-stage tower recessed to outer right with narrow opening at ground; bipartite window centred at 1st floor; louvred bipartite window above. Single storey porch slightly recessed to outer left with round-arched entrance; 2-leaf boarded timber door with decorative hinges; flanking colonnettes with scalloped capitals. Single storey vestry set behind.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: principal gable with various single storey additions at ground comprising lean-to, 3-bay projection at centre with shouldered surround to boarded timber door; flanking narrow windows. Single window centred in gabled vestry projecting to outer left; narrow window centred in gabled porch projecting to outer right. Principal gable end centred behind with large windows flanking centre.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: buttresses flanking centre; large windows off-set to left and right. 3-stage tower recessed to outer left with bipartite window centred at 1st floor; louvred, bipartite window above. Single window in single storey vestry recessed to outer right.
Predominantly diamond-pane leaded glazing; decorative stained glass windows to E (1903). Grey slate roof; gablet-coped sandstone skews. Sandstone apex stack to W.
INTERIOR: timber floor; plain plastered walls above timber dado panelling; false ceiling inserted 1970. Long and short surrounds to chamfered window openings. Timber pews. Raised chancel to E with timber pulpit and communion table; decorative balustrade to front. Organ (1908) and choir area to W. Various wall tablets. Bell inscribed 'Soli Deo Gloria Iohannes Burgerhvs me fecit 1661' in bell tower and in use 1999.
BURIAL VAULT: single storey, rectangular-plan burial vault. Squared sandstone rubble. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-bay. Boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; small blocked window to right. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blocked window centred in gablehead. N (REAR) ELEVATION: blank elevation obscured by gravestones. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: barred window centred in gable end. Stone-slab roof. Sawtooth-coped sandstone skews. INTERIOR: now used as a store; not seen 1999. Reputedly with arched vaulting; arched recess in N wall containing memorial to last burial, 1823.
GRAVEYARD: near square-plan surrounding graveyard with various 17th, 18th and 19th century stones including table-top monuments, classically-detailed stones and examples with memento mori. Stone stair to NE with sandstone pedestals (from 18th and early 19th century table-top monuments) forming balustrades.
WAR MEMORIAL: early to earlier 20th century. Pink sandstone ashlar memorial set to E of church comprising Celtic cross with decorative carving; embossed memorial plaques to front.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low coped sandstone wall enclosing site to S with iron railings. Rubble walls enclosing site to N. Square-plan gatepiers flanking entrances to E and SW; 2-leaf iron gates. Coped, circular-plan tooled sandstone gatepiers to N; gates off hinges.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built on or near the site of an earlier church dating from 1765 which itself replaced a mediaeval structure. This later 18th century church had an earthen floor, unplastered walls, no ceiling and a thatched roof and by 1834, was noted as being '...almost in a state of ruin...so damp that persons of delicate health are prevented from attending it' (NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT). A well-detailed example of the Romanesque, this earlier 19th century church remains the most significant structure in Hutton - its tower being particularly notable. The burial vault is thought to date from the mid 17th century and, like the early gravestones, is itself a rare survival. The former manse is set to the N - see separate list entry, 'Hutton, Antrim House'. The war memorial is very similar to that at Paxton - see separate list entry.
Other nearby listed buildings