This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6871 / 56°41'13"N
Longitude: -5.0998 / 5°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 210245
OS Northings: 759332
OS Grid: NN102593
Mapcode National: GBR FCS1.GRH
Mapcode Global: WH1GJ.M5QY
Plus Code: 9C8PMWP2+R3
Entry Name: Glencoe Hospital
Listing Name: Glencoe Village, Glencoe Hospital
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338595
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6873
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Lismore and Appin
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Parish: Lismore And Appin
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Rowand Anderson, dated 1896 and 1897. Asymmetrical mansion,
mainly 2-storeys and attic, but sloping site and variations of
layout both reduce and increase number of storeys.
Roughly rectangular, with 2 projecting wings to east
entrance front. All grey bullfaced ashlar with considerable
use of contrasting red polished sandstone dressings.
Asymmetrical gabled entrance front with principal door
approached by flight steps to simple red sandstone polished
ashlar porch with leaded ogee roof in south elevation of
single storey and attic projecting gabled entrance hall wing.
Gabled and varied east front with single and 2-storey canted
bay windows, with either shaped wallheads or leaded ogee
roofs and with long pedimented double stair window in
recessed near-centre bay.
Long west main garden front; mainly 3 storeys and attic,
6 bays, with lower 2-storey and attic service wing set
back at north gable. 2 canted bay windows, at SW rising
full 3 storeys with canted piended slate roof and carved
detailing over principal floor windows, and at NW rising
only 2 storeys. Centre 1st floor (raised ground floor)
windows with decorative pediments initalled JSS and DAS with
dates. 5 timber fronted gabled dormers to west garden
front; various other dormers to all elevations with decorative
stone finialled segmental headed pediments. Multi-pane
glazing; crowsteps; tall coped stacks; original rainwater
goods; slate roofs.
Balustraded garden terrace fronts south
gable, spanning sloping site. Interior: entrance hall
with original panelled doors, moulded and corniced doorpieces,
panelled dado; carved and panelled chimney piece with
moulded marble and tiled surround to grate; decorative plaster
ceiling. Wide staircase with turned balusters leads off
Formerly Glencoe House built for Donald Alexander Smith (1820-1914) one of the principal builders of the Canadian Pacific Railway, created Lord Strathcona in 1897. Two wings removed in 1965. Former stables and service accommodation block, now Scottish Ambulance Service centre, not included in listing.
Other nearby listed buildings