This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0267 / 57°1'35"N
Longitude: -4.1743 / 4°10'27"W
OS Eastings: 268115
OS Northings: 794939
OS Grid: NN681949
Mapcode National: GBR JB24.LMB
Mapcode Global: WH4JM.VND4
Plus Code: 9C9Q2RGG+M7
Entry Name: Glentruim House
Listing Name: Glentruim House (By Newtonmore)
Listing Date: 20 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338629
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6903
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
1835-40, additions 1870-1 Alexander Ross, Inverness and
Alexander Mackenzie, Kingussie 1901. Long asymmetrical 2-storey
gabled house over raised basement on E facing sloping site
with rear W entrance front. All tooled grey granite ashlar
with some pinning and ashlar granite dressings.
Irregular 7-bay gabled W entrance front with near centre
crenellated porch (late 19th century addition); to left
late 19th/early 20th century 2-bay dining room and garden
front tower additions. Similar irregular E garden front with
near centre single storey canted bay window with decorative
corbelled balustrade and with French windows reached by late
19th century cast-iron stairs with ornate balusters (replacing
earlier wooden steps). Late 19th century 3-storey square tower
in near centre of E front with corbelled and crenellated
wallhead from which rises small square cap tower, also
Some 1st floor windows rise through wallhead under crowstepped
gablets; varied glazing; crowstepped gables, some with
tall corbelled end octagonal coped stacks; also coped ridge
stacks; slate roofs.
Crenellated wall masks, 1870-1 service court to north; lean-to
green house at south gable.
Interior; cantilevered staircase rises from inner stair hall
with delicate cast-iron balusters and polished wood handrail.
Drawing room with decorative plaster frieze and roundel to
ceiling; white marble chimney piece with pair carved cats
in relief (Clan Chattan and MacPherson crest).
Built by Major Evan MacPherson on land purchased from Duke
of Gordon mid 1830s. Mansion 'lately built' in 1839.
Photographs in possession of present owner of house without
entrance porch and with wooden steps to French windows.
Other nearby listed buildings