History in Structure

Beauly Priory

A Category A Listed Building in Kilmorack, Highland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.4847 / 57°29'4"N

Longitude: -4.4577 / 4°27'27"W

OS Eastings: 252758

OS Northings: 846489

OS Grid: NH527464

Mapcode National: GBR H8CY.8TL

Mapcode Global: WH3F7.H4HJ

Plus Code: 9C9QFGMR+VW

Entry Name: Beauly Priory

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338931

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7129

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Beauly Priory,priory and burial ground

ID on this website: 200338931

Location: Kilmorack

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness

Parish: Kilmorack

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Tagged with: Monastery

Find accommodation in


1230, largely reconstructed 1530-58; earlier 15th century
Chapel of Holy Cross abuts north aisle. Roofless cruciform
building, red Tarradale random rubble with polished ashlar
dressings. Centre round-headed entrance in gable (re-modelled
in mid 16th century) with moulded jambs and paired slender
nook shafts; 3 long pointed-headed windows fill west gable,
with (empty) niche immediately above doorway and below cill
of centre window. Small cusped occulus in gable apex.
13th century fenestration survives north and south aisle
walls, including shaped triangular clerestory windows with
spherical tracery. Buttressed chancel with remains of
large 15th century east window (no tracery survives) and later
Y-tracery windows in north and wouth walls.
Late 15th century angle stair turret at N transept.
Interior; mural tomb to Prior Mackenzie (d.1479)
reconstructed in 16th century, in south wall of crossing and
to Sir Kenneth Mackenzie (d.1491) opposite in north wall;
double piscina in south wall of chancel with linked pointed
headed hoodmould; square aumbry below window cill in centre
east wall.
North aisle contains private burial enclosure of Mackenzie

Statement of Interest

Guardianship Monument, No 90031. Stepped base and stump of former

Beauly market cross sited just outside main entrance to

Priory and burial ground is Scheduled Monument. Repaired

cross shaft stored at Priory. Beauly one of 3 Valliscaulian

Priories, all founded in 1230, daughter houses of the austere

French order established by 1206 in Val de Choux, Burgandy.

(Other two Scottish Priories were Pluscarden, Moray and

Ardchatten, Argyll.) Chapel of Holy Cross, of which there

are only scant remains, erected by Hugh Fraser of Lovat

(1416-40); building repaired by Prior Mackenzie (d.1479) and

largely reconstructed by Prior Robert Reid, a notable

builder, also Abbot of Kinloss and Bishop of the Orkneys.

Prior Reid was ruler of Beauly from 1530 until his death in

1558. Prior Reid's arms displayed in niche in west front.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.