History in Structure

Strathnaver Museum (Bettyhill Farr Old Church), Clachan

A Category B Listed Building in Farr, Highland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 58.5294 / 58°31'45"N

Longitude: -4.2094 / 4°12'33"W

OS Eastings: 271447

OS Northings: 962254

OS Grid: NC714622

Mapcode National: GBR H6Z5.W0B

Mapcode Global: WH498.9WS5

Plus Code: 9CCQGQHR+P6

Entry Name: Strathnaver Museum (Bettyhill Farr Old Church), Clachan

Listing Name: Bettyhill Farr Old Church (Former Church of Scotland Parish Church) and Burial Ground

Listing Date: 3 August 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338962

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7156

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200338962

Location: Farr

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland

Parish: Farr

Traditional County: Sutherland

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


1774. Interior altered 1882. Tall rectangular church, harled with painted ashlar reveals (some rendered). Symmetrical south elevation with 2 long centre windows with mulit-pane glazing. Flanking ground floor and gallery windows. Single long window, detailed as in south elevation, in centre north elevation with flanking ground floor windows; 12-pane glazing; 1st floor gallery entrances in east and west gables,

reached by forestairs over-sailing similar ground floor entrances.

Bellcote at east gable; ball finial at west; slate roof with small triangular vent in south.

Interior: imposing hexagonal panelled pulpit dated 1774, with panelled backboard and hexagonal sounding board with deeply moulded rim. Backboard contained within fluted Corinthian pilasters, with centre round-headed keystoned blind arch supported on half pilasters; carved baluster to stair with end ball finials. Flanking late 19th century

oil lamps on decorative brass wall brackets.

Burial Ground: rubble walled burial ground with interesting 18th and 19th century tomb stones.

Statement of Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use; serves as Farr Museum. Seating Removed. Pulpit initialled and dated: MGM 1774 for Master George Munro. The Rev. George Munro graduated at King's College, Aberdeen (denoted by the title Master) and was the Minister of Farr at the time the church was built, dying there in 1779. There is a memorial to him in the

burial ground. Former galleries removed and party walls inserted reducing the size of the interior, in 1882. Very fine collection of 17th and 18th century tomb stones from church yard housed in church. Cross slab in burial ground is Scheduled Ancient Monument No 1889.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.