This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.872 / 55°52'19"N
Longitude: -4.89 / 4°53'24"W
OS Eastings: 219282
OS Northings: 668095
OS Grid: NS192680
Mapcode National: GBR GF96.2VZ
Mapcode Global: WH2MM.VNLS
Plus Code: 9C7QV4C5+RX
Entry Name: Skelmorlie Parish Church, Skelmorlie
Listing Name: Skelmorlie Village Skelmorlie Parish Church, Hall and Quadrant Wall
Listing Date: 26 February 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339114
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7269
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John Honeyman of Glasgow, architect. Opened 13.2.1895. 5-bay
Gothic church with chancel to south, 3-stage square tower
with spire to north, 3-bay hall (former 1855-6 church)
beyond. Snecked and stugged red sandstone ashlar (hall is
cherry-caulked red rubble) with polished dressings. Entrance
in tower, 2 cusped-headed doors (all other openings have
pointed heads, mostly hood-moulded) under wide, moulded arch
with nook-shafts; lancets above, louvred and plate-traceried
belfry opening to each face of top stage, tower, parapet,
with diminutive pinnacles over angles, enclosing spire,
latter faceted and finialed, with lucarne. Nave has 5
buttressed bays, geometric-traceried windows, stepped and
gabletted buttresses, continuous string at cill level.
Chancel has 3 lancets, with continuous hood-mould,
high on east and west walls (stylised beak-head moulding
at eaves of latter): 3 tall, slender lights below vescica
in south gable. Vestry at south east corner. Hall has 3
bays, porch in north bay, belfry over 3-light window on
north gable. Modern addition to north east.
All roofs slated.
Interior (fittings mostly by Honeyman & Keppie). Single side
aisle at east, elaborately carved and panelled pulpit (1899),
choir stalls, altar, dado and reredos all oak, reredos has
4 figures under ornate canopies separating 3 carved panels
(these signed J Crawford, 1897). Some good leaded glass
windows; chancel windows by J & W Guthrie (David Gauld,
artist) 1895-6; 5 windows on west wall, including one by
Stephen Adam, c1909, 2 by firm of Wm Morris, c1900 & 1918
(latter at least from an original by Burne-Jones). Inverclyde
window probably by Clayton & Bell: 2 additional war memorial
windows from St Andrew's Church Greenock, acquired 1970,
fixed to north wall and back-lit. Art nouveau details to
pulpit, stair balusters and newel posts in hall, and also to wrought-iron lamp outside principal entrance. Organ
1904, by Binns of Bramley, Leeds, to specifications from
Herbert Walton of Glasgow Cathedral. Set behind low
quadrant wall, with wrought-iron gates and railings.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
The records in SRO do not identify the architect of the
original church, but the transept (replaced by tower) was
added 1858 by "Mr Clark, architect".
The chancel west window was donated in memory of the wife and
sons of John Honeyman.
Other nearby listed buildings