History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Park Hotel

A Category B Listed Building in Largs, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8342 / 55°50'2"N

Longitude: -4.8856 / 4°53'8"W

OS Eastings: 219380

OS Northings: 663870

OS Grid: NS193638

Mapcode National: GBR 30.5DCC

Mapcode Global: WH2MT.XMPB

Entry Name: Manor Park Hotel

Listing Date: 29 August 1985

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 339120

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7275

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Largs

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes

Parish: Largs

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Skelmorlie

Description

David and James Hamilton, architects of A-plan small mansion,

1843; substantial additions: north arm extended 1905; 1910

additions - by Fryers and Penman of Largs principally a tall,

square angle tower at south west. Now a hotel. 2 storeys

over raised, channelled and battered basement. Polished

ashlar, with broad band courses 1st floor window margins

linked to cill and to eaves bands. Original house:

symmetrically arranged, porch projects obliquely (roughly

north east) from re-entrant angle on square columns and

pilasters; balustraded miniature perron; wall-head pediment

above with domed roof light behind.

Variety of window openings; some of those at ground have

lugged and keystoned margins, some (including 3-light windows

to west) are architraved, with consoled hoods; some

full-height canted windows, eg at either end of west

elevation. Balustraded (1910) tower has corbelled stair

turret with cap house. Mutule cornices throughout; corniced

stacks; piended slate roofs. Interior: some good classical

ornament; entrance hall lit with circular balcony and dome; Corinthian-columned screens lead from balcony; good ceiling

and cornice plasterwork, especially around dome and in

entrance hall; dining room has lightly-beamed ceiling,

cornice with ornamental hanging grapes. Stair (?1905) has

simple wooden balusters.

Statement of Interest

Originally called St Fillans, and later called Blackhouse.

Category B only because of additions.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.