This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6723 / 55°40'20"N
Longitude: -3.845 / 3°50'41"W
OS Eastings: 284063
OS Northings: 643627
OS Grid: NS840436
Mapcode National: GBR 12LV.CH
Mapcode Global: WH4RC.XP7F
Plus Code: 9C7RM5C4+W2
Entry Name: Coach-House And Adjoining Buildings, Stonebyres
Listing Name: Stonebyres Coach House and Adjoining Buildings
Listing Date: 16 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339662
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7697
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1850, probably John Baird II, remodelled early 20th
century. U-plan range incorporating domestic accommodation,
coach house/motor houses, lofts, meeting room originally for
estate workers and cottage linked to main range by arch. Whin
rubble with contrasting sand stone dressings, long and short
detail to quoins and windows, corniced stacks, slate roofs.
Courtyard contained on NE side by low wall and gate piers;
central block with through, round arched pend and 3 swept
dormers; some similar details at rear, 2 lower flanking
wings; NW range with 4 carriage/motor houses to inside face,
NW elevation irregular fenestration and large gabled dormers
SE range, stables etc with loft over; gable ends of both side
ranges with pairs of tall arched panels set in square frames
to lower part, on N gable fentrated.
Cottage to SE, blocked NE facing door (now window) 2 tall
multi-pane gabled windows break eaves, modern porch to rear.
Appears on 1st Edition OS 1858-9.
Stonebyres House built for James Monteath by John Baird II.
Other nearby listed buildings