This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9625 / 55°57'45"N
Longitude: -2.4589 / 2°27'32"W
OS Eastings: 371447
OS Northings: 674487
OS Grid: NT714744
Mapcode National: GBR ND9Y.L8F
Mapcode Global: WH8W7.6DBD
Entry Name: Thurston Home Farm
Listing Date: 17 May 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339676
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7711
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton
Traditional County: East Lothian
Circa 1850. Quadrangular plan steading with central range.
Squared and snecked rubble red sandstone with ashlar
dressings; coursed at S elevation and stugged, with droved
dressings and raised base course; steading cottage harled.
S RANGE: marked by 3-bay gabled steading cottage at centre,
at head of central range; small-pane fanlght to centre
door. 2 windows. 2 farm entrances flanking with squat square
ashlar piers. Return wings of E and W ranges flanking.
N RANGE: 2-storey gabled mill projecting northward at
centre with forestair in re-entrant angle to right and
piend-roofed former engine house in left re-entrant, with
pedestal of former stalk behind. Cart and granary range to
right wth tall granary windows and projecting, 4-bay piend-
roofed cartshed added at ground, with cast-iron columns.
Full-height machinery door inserted later to outer right
with brick jambs. Pend by forestair off-centre to right.
2-bay cartshed in left range with cast-iron columns.
E RANGE: timber lintelled machinery doors to left with
6 doorways to cattle courts at centre, closing to outer
right by gabled end of N range with machinery doors and
in return wing to right with door, window and blocked
doorways to S.
W RANGE: gabled end of cartshed and granary to outer left,
with barred upper window above ground floor window.
Window flanking to right. Main single storey range blank,
with doorway flanked by windows by outer right and 2
feeding doors on W return on S range.
COURTYARD: 4-cattle courts divided by 3 gabled projecting
feeding ranges adjoining E range, with doorways to feeding
passages in gable ends. Gabled projection off-centre to
left of W range with stables and offices. T-plan steading
cottage at centre divided from rear of threshing mill
by a passage. 5-segmental carriageways with tall
granary windows above at W end of the N range, with pend by
Cast-iron columns to partly covered cattle courts; stone
feeding troughs. Edward Brown, 1852, bruiser in situ in
cartshed of N range, with belt. Small-pane glazing pattern
to sash and case windows.
Architect possibly Hunter of Thurston House, a notable
writer on improvement farming and notable local patron.
The 3-range form of Thurston Mains, headed by steading
cottage, by Robert Bell, 1858, suggests that Bell may have been
involved with Hunter on the design of Home Far. Listed
category A as a remarkable surviving example of the perfect
improvement steading, much-praised in the later 19th
century. Present form indicated on 1854 OS map.
Other nearby listed buildings