This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.7701 / 57°46'12"N
Longitude: -3.9561 / 3°57'22"W
OS Eastings: 283740
OS Northings: 877288
OS Grid: NH837772
Mapcode National: GBR J8L5.Y9T
Mapcode Global: WH4F2.6YDQ
Plus Code: 9C9RQ2CV+3H
Entry Name: Fearn Abbey
Listing Name: Fearn Abbey (Church of Scotland Parish Church)
Listing Date: 25 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339756
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7780
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tain and Easter Ross
Traditional County: Ross-shire
Early 14th century core to simple rectangular building,
restored and re-modelled by James Rich, Surveyor at Cromarty
in 1771; further alterations, 1841. Also alterations and
repairs, Alexander Maitland, 1857 and 1871, and by W C
Joass, 1899. Further restoration by Ian Lindsay and Partners,
1972. Mainly coursed dressed rubble with ashlar dressings.
4 symmetrical lancets in each gable, with blocked 1771
Venetian window above; angle buttresses. 3 lancets in west
gable, also with blocked 1771 Venetian windows above and with
(probably 1771) bellcote at gable apex. South wall largely
rebuilt, with 2 large Gothic windows with intersecting
tracery; entrance in SW corner. 2 ruinous chapels project
from south wall, St Michael's aisle with ogee mural tomb with
recumbant figure to Abbot Finlay (died 1385) with aumbry in
east wall, and SE aisle, probably of 16th century date with
some restoration. Ross burial aisle projects to north; late
16th/early 17th century; ashlar, roofless, but 2 of 6 pointed
arches that supported roof survive; north window with
Y-tracery; 17th century mural monument with Ross arms.
Interior; simple interior with raised floor, plain 19th
century seating, renewed (1972) ceiling. Piscina and sedilia
linked under continuous pointed hoodmould in SE corner.
Plain font of circa 1920-30.
Sunken memorial chapel at east end to Ross's of Balnagown,
with various mural memorials including monument to Admiral
Sir John Lockhart Ross (1790) designed by John Baxter II with
Ross arms and square rigged ship.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Founded in 1221 by
Farquhard, Earl of Ross, at Edderton, (by Fearn Burn). Moved
to (New) Fearn 1238. Daughter house of Premonstratensian
Order at Whithorn. Became Parish Church after Reformation.
Roof fell in during divine service in 1742, killing about 50
people. Rebuilt in 1771, largely at instigation of Admiral
Sir John Lockhart Ross.
Other nearby listed buildings