History in Structure

Dunain House, near Inverness

A Category C Listed Building in Aird and Loch Ness, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.4508 / 57°27'2"N

Longitude: -4.2887 / 4°17'19"W

OS Eastings: 262759

OS Northings: 842368

OS Grid: NH627423

Mapcode National: GBR H9S1.26Q

Mapcode Global: WH3FB.3Z0J

Plus Code: 9C9QFP26+8G

Entry Name: Dunain House, near Inverness

Listing Name: Dunain House

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Last Amended: 3 March 2020

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 340093

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8047

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200340093

Location: Inverness and Bona

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness

Parish: Inverness And Bona

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in
Bunchrew Station


Earlier-18th century, symmetrical two-storey house over raised basement, five-bay south front, recast with extensive 1872 side and rear additions. All white harled with ashlar dressings and margins.

Original house with paired outer bays in south front. Central corniced door reached by much altered double stair oversailing raised basement. Wide band course links raised basement windows narrower course between tall ground and first floor windows, the latter linked by lintel-eaves band. 12-pane glazing pattern. Moulded eaves cornice, stepped blocking course. Wide coped end chimneystacks.

Extensive asymmetrical additions and principal entrance re-cast to north elevation. Wide entrance porch masked by crenellated porte-cochere. Gabled elevation with (to west of entrance) mullioned and transomed stair window with shouldered lintels and canted oriel. Decorative pediments to dormers breaking wallhead. Two-pane glazing. Stepped and moulded string course. Two square towers with corbelled wallhead (and later truncated and capped roofs). Apex finials coped ridge stacks.

Statement of Interest

Dunain House was damaged by fire in September 2014. The exterior walls are largely complete to the wallhead and retain distinguishing stonework features. This includes moulded windows surrounds, dormer windows with decorative pediments, a crenelated porte-cochere, towers with corbelled wallheads and chimneystacks.

The building no longer has roofs or windows and the floors and internal walls appear to have largely collapsed. The previous listed building record written in 1983 notes some decorative plaster ceiling cornices survives and that the original staircase was removed during 1872 alterations.

The house was built before 1831 as a symmetrical two-storey, five-bay house for William Ballie. In 1872, it was owned by A. G. Dallas and extensive additions to the side and rear were added. There is a monogram 'AGD' for AG Dallas on the 1872 wing. There are further 20th century additions that were added when the building was used as an annex for the neighbouring Craig Dunain Hospital. The architects of the original house and the later additions are not currently known.

Category of listing changed from B to C and listed building record revised in 2020.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.