This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6247 / 57°37'28"N
Longitude: -3.6218 / 3°37'18"W
OS Eastings: 303237
OS Northings: 860574
OS Grid: NJ032605
Mapcode National: GBR K8FK.TYV
Mapcode Global: WH5H4.BML5
Plus Code: 9C9RJ9FH+V7
Entry Name: Invererne House
Listing Name: Invererne House
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340885
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8692
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forres
Traditional County: Morayshire
1818. On earlier site. Symmetrical 2-storey over raised basement, 3-bay house. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dresings and margins. Wide, slightly advanced open-pedimented centre bay, the base cornice of the pediment supported by paired giant pilasters with stylised foliated capitals: oculus in centre of tympanum. Centre entrance reached by splayed flight of steps oversailing raised basement, with decorative cast-iron balustrade. Tripartite doorpiece with panelled pilasters, those flanking door with stylised foliated capitals, continuous entablature breaking forward over door; Gothic glazing to upper panes of side lights, keystoned, Gothic traceried fanlight above. centre 1st floor keystoned Venetian window with reeded Corinthian pilasters and blocked cill, decorative tracery to centre light. Moulded window surrounds to front ground and 1st floor fenestration; regular window openings in 3-bay return gables; 6-pane glazing to raised basement, 12-pane elsewhere with decorative glazing to centre bay fenestration. Ashlar quoins; band course above raised basement. Deep eaves band with eaves cornice and blocking course; urns crown pediment; end corniced wallhead stacks; piended, platformed slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance hall leading to stairhall with cantilevered staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. DRAWING ROOM: decorative plaster ceiling cornice and central rose; beaded panelled dado with reeded detailing; beaded panelling to window shutters and doors. White marble chinmeypiece.
DINING ROOM: similar decorative detailing to drawing room.
1ST FLOOR: some alteration to front 1st floor rooms and landing.
Invererne was formerly called Tannachy, belonging to the
Tulloch family from 16th to 18th centuries, sold in 1772
to Alexander Urquhart of Maryland, USA. It was bought in
1817 by General William Grant who built the present
mansion; after his death in 1832 the estate was sold to
Colonel Peter Grant who married Mary Anne Peterkin of
Grange, taking the name Grant Peterkin. The name of the
property was changed from Tannachy to Invererne by 1834.
Change of Category B to a, 25.4.89.
Other nearby listed buildings