This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2534 / 56°15'12"N
Longitude: -3.2251 / 3°13'30"W
OS Eastings: 324193
OS Northings: 707437
OS Grid: NO241074
Mapcode National: GBR 27.9TNL
Mapcode Global: WH6R7.F2HX
Entry Name: House of Falkland Estate, Gilderland Bridge over Maspie Burn
Listing Date: 1 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340970
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8765
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
William Burn, circa 1844. Tall, round-arched bridge with smaller round-arched pedestrian arch to E on slightly curved plan. Squared and snecked rubble with rusticated voussiors; corniced stone ashlar parapet with continuous arcaded balustrade; square-plan, coped terminal piers.
This tall road bridge, built by William Burn, is an important part of the designed landscape surrounding the House of Falkland. The bridge includes a particularly good parapet, which is composed of a continuous arcade of arches set on a curved plan. The bridge makes a contribution to the landscape of the gorge with the arches a prominent feature in views up the Maspie burn which it sits high above. There are several bridges over the burn, designed as part of a wider scheme to allow people to experience the rugged landscape of the Estate.
William Burn built the House of Falkland (see separate listing) in 1839-44. He improved the land around the estate, building a number of bridges and the East Lodge (see separate listing).
The history of the House of Falkland Estate is linked to that of nearby Falkland Palace, which lies immediately to the east. The House of Falkland Estate is formed by land that was gifted to the Keeper of Falkland Palace and land that was acquired. In its present form, the estate dates from the early 19th century when it was acquired by John Bruce when he became Keeper of the Palace of Falkland in 1821. During his time at the estate, Bruce improved the lands around the existing estate house, Nuthill House (now demolished), built the Stables (see separate listing), and cascades and bridges were erected over the Mill and Maspie Burns.
On his death in 1826, his niece Margaret Bruce inherited the Estate. She married Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce in 1828 and they made the decision to demolish Nuthill House and to build a new residence. The architect for the new house was William Burn. They also laid out the formal garden around the house. The 3rd Marquis of Bute then bought the Estate in 1887 and he employed Robert Weir Schultz and William Frame to carry out interior work in the House. He also completed some Arts & Crafts landscaping to the estate. The house was used as a convalescent home in the First World War and as a home for Polish Airmen in the Second World War. The House of Falkland is currently a school (2011).
William Burn (1789-1870) was one of Scotland's foremost architects in the 19th century. He began his career by designing public buildings, but he is particularly associated with country house design at which he was very successful and had a long list of clients, both in Scotland and England. He was skilled at the internal planning of country houses, and his house range from the Greek Revival style to the Scottish Baronial.
(List description updated 2011).
Other nearby listed buildings