This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.252 / 56°15'7"N
Longitude: -3.2237 / 3°13'25"W
OS Eastings: 324273
OS Northings: 707277
OS Grid: NO242072
Mapcode National: GBR 27.B1QD
Mapcode Global: WH6R7.G430
Entry Name: House of Falkland Estate, Bridge over Roaring or Mill Burn and Adjoining Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340971
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8766
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Possibly William Burn, circa 1844. Single-span, round-arched stone bridge with decorative, pierced 5-bay corniced parapets and square-plan coped end piers. Coursed, stugged stone to arch, ashlar to parapets. Base course, corniced coping. Parapet bays with stylized floral quatrefoil design with central rosettes. Curved path with rough rubble walling to S leads to pair of gatepiers.
GATEPIERS: Pair of square-plan, corniced gatepiers to S. Coursed, channelled vermiculated stone. Deep stepped base course.
This ornate bridge and its associated gatepiers are fine decorative features situated close to the House of Falkland (see separate listing) and within its designed landscape, forming a link between what used to be part of the formal gardens of the house and the wilder landscape beyond. The stylised floral design to the parapets add a notable decorative element to the structure. Curved rubble walling set into the bank guides the way from the bridge to the gatepiers. The architectural style responds to the move from a formal space to the wilder landscape beyond, in particular with the large vermiculated gatepiers clearly marking a transition from the more delicately detailed pierced parapets.
In its present form, House of Falkland estate dates from the early 19th century when it was acquired by John Bruce in 1821. During his time at the estate, Bruce improved the lands around the existing estate house, Nuthill House (now demolished), built the Stables (see separate listing), and erected cascades and bridges over the Mill and Maspie Burns. The previous list description notes that this bridge is by William Burn, but this is not yet verified and it may date to this 1820s work done on the estate by John Bruce.
On his death in 1826, John Bruce's niece Margaret inherited the Estate. She married Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce in 1828 and they made the decision to demolish Nuthill House and to build a new residence. The architect for the new house was William Burn and the house was built in 1839-44. They also laid out the formal garden around the house. The 3rd Marquis of Bute then bought the Estate in 1887 and further work was carried out to the house and the estate. The house was used as a convalescent home in the First World War and as a home for Polish Airmen in the Second World War. The House of Falkland is currently a school (2011).
Previous list description notes that finial urns on the bridge have been removed.
(List description updated 2011).
Other nearby listed buildings