History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elie House, Steading and Sawmill

A Category B Listed Building in Elie, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1978 / 56°11'52"N

Longitude: -2.8185 / 2°49'6"W

OS Eastings: 349309

OS Northings: 700879

OS Grid: NO493008

Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.FGQL

Mapcode Global: WH7SR.PH11

Entry Name: Elie House, Steading and Sawmill

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 341261

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9014

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Elie

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Parish: Elie

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kilconquhar

Description

Steading: Later 18th and early 19th century, enlarged in mid century. EAST RANGE: mid 19th century, near symmetrical about centre block:

2 storey, 3 bay with 3 segmental-headed cart-sheds at ground; single storey wings to North and South. North wing terminates in single-storey lodge whose front to drive has a small V-plan projecting bay window. Coursed squared rubble, droved dressings, moulded eaves-course, slated roof. South wing linked by screen-wall with gateway to single-storey cottage with gable to courtyard: East front: 3 bay, centre door with timber porch flanked by tripartites coursed square rubble, moulded eaves-course, piended slated roof with pair of square corniced stacks at ridge, small harled addition to rear. Gable linked by screen-wall to

SOUTH RANGE: Early 19th century single storey row of 3 cottages, coursed squared rubble, droved dressings, piended slated roof, rectangular cavetto corniced stacks at ridge, linked by screen wall to WEST RANGE: Later 18th century block to South: 2 storey 7 bays at ground with pair of round headed arched openings with Key and impost blocks, five square openings to loft over, coursed squared rubble with polished window and angle margins, straight skews, slated roof, lower 2 storey block to north with, further to north, a single-storey wing which returns to east to form the NORTH RANGE: early 19th century with 3 segmental-headed cart-sheds, coursed squared rubble with block cornice, slated roof,

piended at east end. ISLAND BLOCK: east range, early 19th century, single storey, rubble, most openings altered, piended pantiled roof. Running parallel to this range to the west are 3 early 20th century piended pantiled ranges. SAWMILL: Later 19th century, attached to rear of west range of steading: 2 storey engine-house, gabled with straight

skews, slated roof, short, single-storey gabled wing to west at north end. Linking the engine-house to the steading is a tall 4-storey pele tower which contains and disguises the engine-house chimney and which also contains a doocot. Except at the SW the tower has chamfered angles and a corbelled crenellated parapet with alternate round and square

angle bartizans.

Statement of Interest

Steading shown complete on 1853 OS Map with circular horse-mill on present site of sawmill. Sawmill shown c 1893 OS Map.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.