This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9759 / 54°58'33"N
Longitude: -5.0264 / 5°1'35"W
OS Eastings: 206409
OS Northings: 568776
OS Grid: NX064687
Mapcode National: GBR FHZK.DBZ
Mapcode Global: WH1QW.R6N8
Plus Code: 9C6PXXGF+9C
Entry Name: Lochryan House
Listing Name: Lochryan Estate, Lochryan House
Listing Date: 20 June 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342578
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10168
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Stranraer and the Rhins
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
1701; later alterations include those by Alan Dickie 1820-4 and James Brown, 1826. Single storey and basement, 2-storey, attic and basement, and 3-storey and basement, 13-bay mansion house (grouped 3-2-3-2-3). Painted rubble.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to advanced, pilastered and corniced flat-roofed late 19th century entrance porch in recessed 3 central bays; 2-leaf timber door; armorial panel over inner timber glazed 2-leaf door; single windows aligned above at 1st and 2nd floor; flanking single windows at basement, ground, 1st and 2nd floors; louvred shutters to 1st floor windows; 5 tall merlons screen roof (2nd floor added 1820-4, specifications provided by Alan Dickie). Advanced 2-bay wings flanking; regular fenestration at basement, ground and 1st floors (projecting oriel window to right 1st floor window); single canted dormers to half-piended lean-to roofs (dormers late 19th century). Screen walls and balustrades link to service buildings (see below). Earlier 19th century, 3-bay single storey and basement wings (possibly by mason James Brown) to outer right and left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: steps to central, square-headed entrance in recessed 3 central bays; stair window aligned above; flanking single windows at basement, ground, 1st and 2nd floors. Advanced wings flanking; single windows at ground and 1st floor to outer right of wing to right; blind wing to left. Deeply recessed single storey and basement wings to outer right and left; single window to wing to left, bipartite window to re-entrant angle to left; single window to wing to right (additional single window to advanced flat-roofed section, single window to right re-entrant angle, timber door to left re-entrant angle).
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof: stone skews; coped stacks; square cans to main house stacks.
INTERIOR: retains numerous original details including timberwork; cornices and fireplaces.
B Group with Walled Gardens, Pavilions and Rabbit House, and Ancillary Structures, Dovecot, Sundial, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls. Built for Colonel Agnew of Croach, the house offers an interesting sequence of developments as noted by John Gifford. Originally of two storeys with a basement and attic, Gifford questions whether the wings are original or replaced piended double-pitch roofs. The recessed 3-bay central section was heightened in 1820-4, and the outer wings perhaps date from improvements made by the mason James Brown in 1826.
Other nearby listed buildings