History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walton Park

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkpatrick Durham, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0175 / 55°1'2"N

Longitude: -3.9374 / 3°56'14"W

OS Eastings: 276225

OS Northings: 570930

OS Grid: NX762709

Mapcode National: GBR 0BYF.C5

Mapcode Global: WH4VM.H49V

Entry Name: Walton Park

Listing Date: 28 May 1981

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342603

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10192

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkpatrick Durham

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford

Parish: Kirkpatrick Durham

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Kirkpatrick Durham

Description

Dated 1816 with late 19th-century additions to E doubling its
size.
1816 HOUSE: 2 storeys and basement double-bow fronted house
of squared rubble with polished raised margins and quoins.
Steps, with simple cast-iron balusters, oversailing basement
to Roman-Doric engaged column doorpiece. Semi-circular arched
doorway with pilastered reveals; double-leaf panelled doors
with glazed fanlight. All windows sash and case 12 or 8-pane
glazing.
Raised polished band over basement and at eaves; moulded
eaves cornice. Sandstone block pediment over centre eaves
with oval tablet inscribed J.A.C. 1816. U-plan slate roofs.
Tall corniced end stacks, octagonal cans.
Rear elevation with full-height projecting semi-circular
stair tower with domed roof and glazed cupola.
LATE 19TH-CENTURY ADDITION; coursed rock-faced ashlar 2-bay
with 3-storey tower to left and full-height bow to right with
red sandstone dressings and margins. Tower with bipartite
windows. Mansard slate roof.
Single-storey kitchen court at W to basement level.

Statement of Interest

Formerly known as MaCartney and originally part of

Kilquhanity estate dissolved 1797. Bought by Maj James

Campbell (J.A.C.1816 on pediment) altered by his grandson

Thomas Walter Campbell (ex Galloway Lands and Owners).

Part of B group with Walton Park Stables and Walton Park

Lodge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.