This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9185 / 55°55'6"N
Longitude: -3.0148 / 3°0'53"W
OS Eastings: 336671
OS Northings: 669951
OS Grid: NT366699
Mapcode National: GBR 70D0.37
Mapcode Global: WH7V0.NHKP
Entry Name: Carberry House
Listing Date: 27 November 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 343374
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10867
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: Midlothian
1909. 2-storey, H-plan house, with single storey porches
filling re-entrant angles, and with Tudor details.
Harled with cream sandstone ashlar dressings. Applied
timber-framing to jettied gableheads; principal
gableheads canopied on swept cavetto corbel courses.
S ELEVATION: lean-to porch in centre recess, comprised
of original section to right with bipartite window, and
modern in-fill to left of timber boarding, doorway and
window. 2 windows to 1st storey behind, under gabled
dormerhead. 2-storey gabled bays advanced to outer
right with rectangular, 6-light, piend-roofed window
projecting at ground, and 2 bipartites at 1st floor.
Mirrored bays to outer left with tirpartite and single
window at both ground and 1st floors.
N ELEVATION: flat-roofed porch set in re-entrant angle
at centre, with dormerhead to single 1st floor window
above; gabled outer bay to right with window at ground
and doorway at 1st floor with cast-iron forestair; outer
bay to left with doorway and window at ground and 2 1st
E AND W ELEVATIONS: each 3-bay, with canopied, applied
timber-framed gablehead to centre bay. W elevation with
single windows at ground and 1st floor to centre and
outer right bays, and bipartite to outer left. E
elevation with modern addition at ground to outer right,
and 1st floor window above; forestair to 1st floor
doorway at centre, with window below; window to each
floor in outer left bay.
Multi-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
grey-green slates; overhanging eaves with timber
brackets and bargeboarding. Ashlar margined, harled
stacks with original cans retained. Decorative
gutterheads, dated 1910.
Apparently built to house the gardeners of the Carberry
estate. Currently serving as home for the elderly. Given
over to Church of Scotland by Lord Elphinstone in 1960s.
Style employed echoes that used frequently for Edwardian
villa designs, particularly by Edinburgh architects. It
is possible by Frederick MacGibbon (the son of David
MacGibbon, Thomas Ross's partner, the latter having
worked at Carberry Tower).
Other nearby listed buildings