This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9259 / 55°55'33"N
Longitude: -3.0421 / 3°2'31"W
OS Eastings: 334981
OS Northings: 670806
OS Grid: NT349708
Mapcode National: GBR 2G.ZLHV
Mapcode Global: WH7V0.79NY
Entry Name: Cowpits, the Old Schoolhouse with Retaining Wall
Listing Date: 27 November 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 343385
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10877
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1880. Former school and schoolhouse in unusual
design, in powerful Victorian Gothic vein. Currently
entirely residential, with modern additions. Stugged,
squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and
base course; chamfered arrises to openings. Plan
comprised of 3 interlocked, gabled blocks;
schoolmaster's house originally in westmost single
storey and attic block, with schoolrooms in tall
single storey blocks at centre and to E. Stone mullions.
CENTRE BLOCK: entrance bay in single storey form,
recessed at centre of N elevation, linking tall
classroom swept-up behind and flanking blocks. Doorway
in gabled bay with stepped hoodmould, panelled door and
narrow, letterbox fanlight, and with narrow windows
flanking. S elevation projecting with tall gabled bay,
marked by 4-light and transomed window with pointed
arch panel above centre lights; flanked originally by
slightly recessed lean-to stone porches (1 remaining to
E, modern sunroom inserted to W), with doorway on return
FORMER SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE: single storey and attic.
Hoodmoulded windows at ground. Bipartite window above;
rear elevation obscured by modern sunroom. W elevation
3-bay, with regrettable modern block projecting at
centre, single windows in flanking bays, and gabled
dormers above. Moulded stack with cornice at wallhead
by entrance bay, and at S gable wallhead.
E BLOCK: tall block with tall, Y-traceried, hoodmoulded
pointed window to gabled N elevation, with trefoil
ventilation panel at apex; rear elevation intercepted
by centre block, and formerly with window detailed
similarly to that on N, currently divided by internal
insertion of floor, and with modern window below. 2 tall
panels to E elevation, each blinded with window, in
lower half to right panel, in upper half to left. Stack
(detailed as above) on mutual wallhead.
Variety of glazing patterns; large square panes to S
schoolroom window, and with tracery pattern above in
pointed arch windows; plate glass sash and case and
modern glazing to remaining windows. Patera details in
gableheads of main doorway and dormers. Ashlar coped
skews and decorative skewputts. Grey slates.
RETAINING WALL: rubble retaining wall, with sections of
ashlar and semi-circular coping.
Presumably the building (marked as Infant School on 1913
OS map), was prompted by the 1872 Education Act. The
design did not conform to the more common styles used,
and the stacks have the stamp of Rowand Anderson.
Other nearby listed buildings