This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9352 / 55°56'6"N
Longitude: -3.043 / 3°2'34"W
OS Eastings: 334940
OS Northings: 671842
OS Grid: NT349718
Mapcode National: GBR 2G.Z0B9
Mapcode Global: WH7V0.726T
Entry Name: 41 Inveresk Village, Whitehouse and Easter Whitehouse with Retaining Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 343472
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10931
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Musselburgh
Traditional County: Midlothian
Complex amalgam of buildings of different dates,
possibly unfolding as follows: earlier 18th century 2-
storey house, with attic and cellar, adjoined to N by
mid to later 18th century house and later 18th century
houses to SE; early 19th century linking section to SE
and earlier 19th century to NE; further later additions
and alterations. Small courtyard formed at centre; sub-
divided post 1953. White painted harled with painted
ashlar dressings; some with chamfered arrises.
WHITEHOUSE: earlier 18th century house with 3 irregular
bays to W; corniced and lugged doorway with pulvinated
frieze; panelled door, upper panels glazed; windows in
flanking bays at ground; 3 irregularly spaced, narrow
windows under eaves above. 2 windows to ground and
1st floor on gabled S elevation and 1 attic window.
Steeply pitched gables; end stacks. Mid to later 3-bay
house adjoined to N gable, and slightly recessed, with
higher eaves and regular windows to W, in each bay; 1st
floor windows probably enlarged; 2 large, later windows
at 1st floor on N gable; broad gablehead stack.
19th century piend-roofed addition to E corner with
regrettable modern French window inserted at ground,
and 2 1st floor windows to N.
INTERIOR: early 19th century panelling to entrance
sitting room and 1st floor drawing room; 20th century
marble scale and platt staircase addition; Adamesque
chimneypiece; coomb ceiling with decorative plasterwork
to drawing room, and niche with shell motif. Mural
landscape paints probably 18th century, at 1st floor.
EASTER WHITEHOUSE: corniced doorway to S, in narrow
3-bay corniced linking block with blocking course; 2-
leaf panelled doors; bipartite, stone mullioned windows
flanking at ground, and large 1st floor window at
centre; grey slates and E end stack. Late 18th century
irregular 3-bay gabled blocks to E, at right angles to
linking block; door in lower bays to S, with swept
dormerheads added later to left; brown pantiles. Higher
eaves to 3 irregular bays to right; red pantiles.
Further additions to E and entrance.
Variety of glazing patterns, predominantly small-pane
and sash and case windows. Ashlar coped skews.
RETAINING WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: rubble
retaining walls to S, enclosing grounds by Crookston
Road and Whitehouse Cottage, and gardens to N and E;
weathered, corniced ashlar gatepiers with ball
finials; 2-leaf arrowhead gates. Low ashlar coped wall
with arrowhead railings to S and W. Decorative wrought-
iron gates to garden.
The title deeds suggest that the Whitehouse was built
about 1740. It was subsequently owned by Lord Easdale,
Advocate. In the 19th century it served as a nursing
home. Sir Frank Mears took up occupancy from 1930 until
his death in 1953. More recently, Peter Whitson,
architect resided here. Minor similarities with the
interior decoration at the Manor House (the shell niche
and painted landscape), suggest some interaction between
the 2 properties.
Other nearby listed buildings