History in Structure

Cart Shed And Coach House, Marlee Home Farm

A Category C Listed Building in Kinloch, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.5855 / 56°35'7"N

Longitude: -3.3853 / 3°23'7"W

OS Eastings: 315011

OS Northings: 744591

OS Grid: NO150445

Mapcode National: GBR V7.M3J0

Mapcode Global: WH6PD.ZQ3V

Plus Code: 9C8RHJP7+6V

Entry Name: Cart Shed And Coach House, Marlee Home Farm

Listing Name: Marlee Home Farm, Former Coach House

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 343766

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB11189

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200343766

Location: Kinloch

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens

Parish: Kinloch

Traditional County: Perthshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Probably before 1808, altered. Distinctive, tall single storey and loft, 3-bay, square-plan farm building with steeply pitched, pavilion roof, sited close to steading range. Whitewashed rubble with ashlar margins, most openings blocked.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: NW elevation with centre door formerly reached by forestair, blocked opening evident to left at ground and 2 small square openings close to eaves at outer bays. SE and NE elevations have later timber and corrugated metal additions.

Statement of Interest

The ancillary structure known as the Coachhouse at Marlee Home Farm is an interesting and unusual building. Pre-dating 1808 it has a particularly distinctive steeply pitched pavilion-type roof and the use of a square footprint for a coach house is unusual and it is probable that the building was originally a granary. Its square plan can be identified on an 1808 survey of the 'Mains of Marlie (sic) and North Leys' by George Brown (Plans of Invercauld). This plan shows the square coachhouse building flanked by two narrow rectangular-plan structures with two further ranges forming L-plan offices on the site of the steading. The coach house is also very similar in size and shape to the early 18th century pavilions flanking the south elevation of nearby Marlee House.

The 1859-64 Ordnance Survey map shows the Home Farm as 'Offices', but by 1894 it has become Manor Farm.

The earlier listing noted that the building had a forestair, and housed cart sheds and coach houses below the loft. It is said to have been used by Dunkeld-Braemar coaches, and has been used as a grain store since 1955.

Re-categorised as C(S) from B Group (2006). The listing relates specifically to the group interest of the subject. It applies, as always, to interior as well as exterior, as appropriate to building type.

List description revised 2009.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.