History in Structure

Iona Abbey, Iona

A Category A Listed Building in Oban South and the Isles, Argyll and Bute

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.335 / 56°20'6"N

Longitude: -6.3914 / 6°23'29"W

OS Eastings: 128683

OS Northings: 724515

OS Grid: NM286245

Mapcode National: GBR BCLZ.C6Y

Mapcode Global: WGYD7.S1N9

Plus Code: 9C8M8JP5+2C

Entry Name: Iona Abbey, Iona

Listing Name: Iona Abbey

Listing Date: 20 July 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 345047

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12310

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200345047

Location: Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Oban South and the Isles

Parish: Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Tagged with: Abbey

Find accommodation in


Transitional and Gothic. Rubble. Slated roofs.
CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST. MARY: Cruciform. Nave: earlier
13th cent. (widened c. 1500). N. Transept: later 12th
cent. S. Transept: c. 1500. Tower over Crossing: rebuilt
c. 1500. Chancel, with Sacristy and S. Aisle: c. 1500.
Corbelled parapets. Buttresses. Base course. Traceried
windows. Pointed W. doorway (c. 1500). Interior: Timber
ceilings. Cusped Sacristy doorway and two pointed arches
on N. side of Chancel. Piscina. Sedilia. Effigies of
Abbots Mackinnon and Mackenzie and of 8th Duke of Argyll.
CONVENTUAL BUILDINGS: Earlier 13th cent. Cloister
(pointed arches). Chapter House (barrel vault; two round
arches; traceried windows) Refectory. Abbot's House.
Infirmary (now Michael Chapel). Old Refectory (now Museum).
ST. COLUMBA'S CELL: Celtic (?). Remains on Tor Abb.

Statement of Interest

A group with items 18-24In ecclesiastical use. St. Columba established a monasteryhere 563. Norsemen raided it many times between 797 and 1069.Reginald Macdonald, Lord of Kintyre, founded a house ofBenedictine Monks on same site. (Papal Confirmation 1203). Itwas attached to Bishopric of the Isles 1507. (Church becoming Cathedral). Pillaged 1561 on order of Synod of Argyll.Bestowed on Hector Maclean of Duart 1588. Passed to Earlof Argyll 1688. Presented to Church of Scotland by 8thDuke of Argyll 1899. Church was restored 1902-10 byP.M. Chalmer. Restoration of conventual buildings beganin 1939.

The ground beneath Iona Abbey is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 for its archaeological importance. Significant upstanding and below-ground archaeological remains may survive as part of and in addition to the structures and features described above.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.