History in Structure

Lamington, Townhead and Barjols Cottage

A Category C Listed Building in Clydesdale East, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5624 / 55°33'44"N

Longitude: -3.6175 / 3°37'3"W

OS Eastings: 298081

OS Northings: 631041

OS Grid: NS980310

Mapcode National: GBR 3453.MW

Mapcode Global: WH5T6.DGL5

Plus Code: 9C7RH96J+WX

Entry Name: Lamington, Townhead and Barjols Cottage

Listing Date: 17 January 1975

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 345123

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12369

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200345123

Location: Lamington and Wandel

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Clydesdale East

Parish: Lamington And Wandel

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Lamington

Description

Dated 1843. Single storey, 6-bay, paired L-plan cottages in estate style with advanced stone gabled bay to penultimate right with shaped hoodmold and infilled slit detail to apex. Timber-bracketed overhanging eaves with cross bracing and delicate timber finials to gable apexes. Finely tooled whinstone rubble with droved sandstone quoins. Later 20th century rendered extension to rear to form U-plan. Townhead Cottage to S and Barjols to N.

12-pane lying-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to principal elevation, later 20th century glazing patterns to rear. Plain boarded doors. Grey slates. Shouldered diamond-plan shafted ridge stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

A good example of a pair cottages in estate style likely to be the first built in the village development, showing details characteristic of others houses in the village and making a strong contribution to the group. When built these cottages had a direct path to the rear to the now demolished Lamington House, suggesting they were designed for those in service in the house.

In 1838 Alexander Cochrane MP (b1816), grandson of the Earl of Dundonald, inherited the Baillie family estate of Lamington at which time he took on its name to become Alexander Baillie Cochrane. He became Lord Lamington in 1883. Baillie-Cochrane inherited a modest estate and set about rebuilding it from 1844 following his marriage to Anabella Drummond, and began by making large additions to the existing shooting lodge in Elizabethan style to form the, now demolished, Lamington House. At the time Lamington village was a series of bothies stretched along the old roadside to the south of the House. He set about building a new village in a programme of improvements to the NE of the house with the earliest building dating to the 1840s and the latest to the 1870s. At this time the main road was redirected to the NW between the two gate lodges to afford privacy to Lamington House and Estate. These village buildings survive today and maintain the character of a planned estate village as they were designed.

The architect of the village is not known however it is thought William Spence (1806?-1883) may have been involved in the building of some of the village estate buildings. He built Coulter Mains house in the adjacent Coulter Parish. Spence worked as an assistant to both David Bryce and William Burn and, the first house with which he was associated, Coulter Mains house, bears elements of the Burn and Bryce school. There are elements of design in the estate houses of the village which also have these characteristics.

The Lamington Papers held in the Mitchell Archive include a letter from Architect David Bryce in 1838 stating that he encloses his revised, scaled down plans for the shooting lodge at Lamington. It is not known whether he carried out the commission for the shooting lodge which became Lamington House or whether the job was completed by someone else. The architects Wardrop and Brown are known to have carried out a music room addition in 1858.

The carved 'ABC' stone to the central gable is the initials of Anabella Baillie Cochrane.

Formerly listed as 'Lamington Village, Various Cottages and Former Post Office' at category B. Revised as a separate listing and category changed to C(S) following resurvey (2010).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.