This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5433 / 56°32'36"N
Longitude: -3.5119 / 3°30'42"W
OS Eastings: 307134
OS Northings: 740061
OS Grid: NO071400
Mapcode National: GBR V4.MQ20
Mapcode Global: WH5NF.0SYN
Plus Code: 9C8RGFVQ+86
Entry Name: Chapel Of St Anthony The Eremite, Murthly
Listing Name: Chapel of St Anthony the Eremite, Murthly
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346617
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13460
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Little Dunkeld
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathtay
Parish: Little Dunkeld
Traditional County: Perthshire
Pre-reformation mortuary chapel of the Stewarts of Grandtully, extended by the addition of the Romanesque Chapel of St Anthony The Eremite by James Gillespie Graham for Sir William Drummond Stewart.
ORIGINAL CHAPEL: ?16/17th century. Barrel-vaulted timber boarded ceiling decorated with arabesque motifs. Notable water stoup. Fine early 18th century cream sandstone mural monument to Sir Thomas Stewart, four partially fluted Corinthian columns framing mural tablet and supporting pediment containing Stewart arms, surmounted by two winged trumpeters and and flaming urns. Series of well preserved hatchments. Vestry recently relined in modern pine panelling.
NEW CHAPEL: James Gillespie Graham, 1846 (?A W N Pugin see NOTES). Romanesque style chapel added to W of original. Spectacular interior decoration by Alexander Christie, ARSA and by pupils of his School of Design of the Board of Manufactures for Scotland, in Edinburgh, 1846-48. Lavish use of gilding, marbling, carved wood work etc. All dominated by huge mural depicting the Vision of Constantine. Altar, stalls, confessional and other carved wood work by Charles Trotter of Edinburgh. Stained glass by James Ballantyne, Edinburgh.
400 yards N of castle. Outstanding interior and a unique survival in Scotland of the collaboration between James Gillespie Grahma and A W N Pugin, with decoration by charles Trotter and James Gallantyne, and Alexander Christie. It is likely that Gillespie Graham worked in association with Gothic Revival architect A W N Pugin on the chap designs, as he did on several other projects in Scotland inlcuding designs for the interior of the new Murthly Castle. Although most of the latter were probably unexecuted ?Pugin's Great Hall and a Louis XIV style draing room were incorporated into the old castle when the new was abandoned. The new chapel was the first Roman catholic place of worship to be dedicated in Scotland since the reformation. Upgraded 18.5.93.
Other nearby listed buildings