History in Structure

Eilean Glas Lighthouse, Scalpay

A Category A Listed Building in Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch, Na h-Eileanan Siar

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.8569 / 57°51'24"N

Longitude: -6.642 / 6°38'31"W

OS Eastings: 124743

OS Northings: 894715

OS Grid: NG247947

Mapcode National: GBR 97ZY.Y6Q

Mapcode Global: WGX3F.YSB7

Plus Code: 9C9MV945+P6

Entry Name: Eilean Glas Lighthouse, Scalpay

Listing Name: Scalpay, Eilean Glas Lighthouse, Old Lighthouse, Store and Enclosure Wall, Keeper's Cottages, Outbuildings, Jetty and Foghorn

Listing Date: 30 March 1994

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 346644

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13487

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Scalpay, Eilean Glas Lighthouse

ID on this website: 200346644

Location: Harris

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch

Parish: Harris

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Tagged with: Lighthouse

Find accommodation in


2 circular lighthouse towers, main tower designed by Robert Stevenson circa 1825 superseding 1789 tower; 1789 house adjoining original tower converted to store also probably 1825; high enclosure wall; 2 parallel detached ranges of single storey keeper's cottages to north probably by Alan Stevenson circa 1845; jetty to northwest; outbuildings; foghorn to south at Rudh' an Eorna. Most buildings whitewashed.

ORIGINAL LIGHTHOUSE: probably lowered in height, lantern replaced by shallow-pitched roof circa 1825.

MAIN LIGHTHOUSE: 5-stage tower with bands between stages, painted red and white. Small oculi in narrow top band under cantilevered platform with lattice guard rails. Lantern with diamond glazing and domed cap.

STORE: originally 2 storeys; converted probably by Alan Stevenson 1845 to single storey keepers' cottages. Rubble-built with long and short dressings to doors and windows. Simple parapet and flat roof. Tall stacks.

KEEPERS' COTTAGES: range to north east now 2 cottages (originally 3) in Graeco-Egyptian manner. Built of squared whin rubble with granite dressings. Bold ramped doorpieces with cavetto cornices and stepped blocking courses, outer bays similarly detailed but with windows (one later door). Sash and case windows with 8-pane glazing pattern. Main cornice and blocking course. Tall battered stacks with splayed cornices, 4 central stacks grouped, outer 2 paired. Flat roof. Range to north west 8 bays with principal house and old engine room.

Statement of Interest

This is a classic example of a lighthouse complex which encompasses the lighthouse, accommodation for the keepers and their families, means of transport with the jetty and a means of subsistence with fields and walled garden. It forms a distinctive grouping in a remarkable setting. This site also documents the development of the lighthouse with the earlier tower being one of the first 4 lighthouses commissioned by the Northern Lighthouse Board, which had been formed 3 years earlier. The other 3 lighthouses being Kinnaird?s Head at Fraserburgh, Dennis Head on North Ronaldsay and the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse.

The lamp was first lit on October 16th 1789, a plaque on the original keeper's house mentions Alexander Reid, the first keeper who came in 1789 and stayed for 35 years. The Egyptian style of the keepers' cottage is also of architectural interest and was later used at the Ardnamurchan lighthouse keepers' cottages. They retain their original brass door hinges which are marked with 'NLB'.

Upgraded to category A March 2004.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.