This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9737 / 54°58'25"N
Longitude: -5.0842 / 5°5'3"W
OS Eastings: 202702
OS Northings: 568691
OS Grid: NX027686
Mapcode National: GBR FHTK.HXG
Mapcode Global: WH1QV.W74Y
Plus Code: 9C6PXWF8+F8
Entry Name: Church Of Scotland, Ervie-Kirkcolm Parish Church, Church Road, Kirkcolm
Listing Name: Ervie-Kirkcolm Church, Graveyard, Graveyard Walls and War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346681
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13515
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Stranraer and the Rhins
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
1824; interior remodelled and re-orientated 1964. T-plan church; former single storey vestry adjoined to E. Rubble; S elevation and vestry lime-washed. Sandstone ashlar dressings; droved rybats. Rebated chamfered margins. Pointed-arched windows. Timber tracery, mainly Y-tracery; small-pane clear glazing. Diagonal buttresses. Eaves cornice, continued under skews on gableheads. Coped skews. Cross finials to gableheads. Slightly graded grey slates.
S ELEVATION: pointed-arched doorway at centre; double-leaf doors and lead-paned fanlight; sandstone steps up to door with plain iron handrails. Hoodmoulded window above, with 2-light perpendicular tracery.
W ELEVATION: window to left and right. Gabled jamb at centre: door at centre; hoodmoulded window above, with 2-light perpendicular tracery; birdcage bellcote at apex, surmounted by cross finial and with bell. Square windows, with stop-chamfered concrete margins, inserted to return elevations: window to right at ground and to left at 1st floor to S return; 2 bipartite windows at ground to N return.
N ELEVATION: blank (formerly with door at centre).
E ELEVATION: 5-bay, with dividing buttresses. Windows in bays to left and right of centre. Gabled former vestry (replacing earlier vestry) in centre bay, with flanking buttresses removed; door to left and window to right to S; brick lean-to in re-entrant angle to N; brick gablehead stack to E.
INTERIOR rectangular-plan. Painted plaster walls and boarded dadoes. Coombed ceiling. Decorative plaster rose. Octagonal pulpit to N (formerly at centre to E), with steps from left; communion table (1904); timber font (1963). Double-leaf door to W; modern, long small-paned glazed panel above to W wall (lighting former laird's loft). Modern timber vestibule below window to S. 2 marble mural tablets. Timber pews.
GRAVEYARD: 19th century gravestones. 20th century sub-Lorimer style figure sculpture.
CROSS-SLAB: Scheduled Monument (see Notes) located adjacent to church, in SE angle. Possibly 8th to 10th century. Upright cross-slab, set in cemented rubble base. Sculptured crosses to both faces.
GRAVEYARD WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls. Square rubble gatepiers to S; double-leaf iron gates. War Memorial enclosure advanced outwards from S wall, to E of gateway.
WAR MEMORIAL: circa 1919. Celtic cross war memorial. Polished granite. Celtic cross set on chamfered pedestal. Engraved Celtic designs to N face of cross. N face of pedestal inscribed "Dedicated in honoured memory of the gallant men of the parish of Kirkcolm who fought and died in the Great War 1914-1918"; E and W faces inscribed with names; S face inscribed "1939-1945", with names. Saddleback coped rubble enclosure, with raised corners linked by iron railings; panel to S wall inscribed "Kirkcolm War Memorial 1914-1918".
Ecclesiastical building in use as such; Church of Scotland.
Formerly listed as "Kirkcolm Parish Church". The Church was built in 1824, to replace old Kirkcolm Church, which was demolished in 1821 (see separate listing for Kirkcolm Church Graveyard). Kirkcolm united with Ervie in 1950, under the name of Ervie-Kirkcolm. Ervie-Kirkcolm was linked with Leswalt in 1985.
The CROSS-SLAB is a Scheduled Monument - SAM 101512.
The earliest known site of the cross-slab was the Chapel of Kilmorie, at St Mary's Croft. It was inserted as a lintel over the west door of old Kirkcolm Church in 1719; when the Church was demolished in 1821, the cross-slab was subsequently removed to the grounds of Corsewall House.
The cross-slab was transferred to its current site in 1988.
Area re-scheduled 1 November 2002.
Other nearby listed buildings