This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.5408 / 57°32'26"N
Longitude: -4.5827 / 4°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 245507
OS Northings: 853014
OS Grid: NH455530
Mapcode National: GBR H81S.RM3
Mapcode Global: WH3DS.KQZJ
Entry Name: Fairburn House
Listing Date: 23 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 347289
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14031
Building Class: Cultural
Local Authority Ward: Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh
Traditional County: Ross-shire
Wardrop and Reid, 1877-78 (house dated 1878). Scottish
Baronial mansion house; stugged and sneck coursed rubble,
contrasting tooled ashlar dressings. Mainly 3 storeys,
blocks of varying height group round taller entrance bay
and tower. Off-centre crenellated tower on south elevation, 5
storeys with corbelled circular angle stair turret in
re-entrant angle former with entrance bay, conical roof and
weathervane above crenellations. Projecting near-centre gabled
3-storey entrance bay in south elevation with round-headed
doorway and initialled plaque above; angle bartizans. Elsewhere asymmetrical design with angle drum towers, bipartites and
tripartites; 2- and 3-storey canted bay windows, crowsteps and
gabletted dormers. 2-pane glazing throughout. Ridge and end
corniced stacks; slate roof.
Interior: entrance hall with stone Baronial chimneypiece to
medieval design and wide wooden staircase rising to 1st floor
and principal rooms. Drawing room with pendant plaster ceiling
and 2 marble chimney-pieces. Dining room with panelled dado and
ceiling, all with lozenge detailing; high carved and panelled
wooden chimney piece with inserted portrait. Further wooden
staircase with heavy balusters rising to 2nd floor and
Nursery suite with decorative preses, one having illustrations
from Barrie's PETER PAN.
Built and owned by Stirling family from 1878-1982.
Other nearby listed buildings