This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0094 / 56°0'33"N
Longitude: -2.6124 / 2°36'44"W
OS Eastings: 361913
OS Northings: 679777
OS Grid: NT619797
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z.TF14
Mapcode Global: WH8VY.V66Y
Plus Code: 9C8V295Q+Q2
Entry Name: Stone Square Flower Bed, Tyninghame House
Listing Name: Tyninghame House with Garden Ornament and Gateway
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 347972
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14586
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Whitekirk and Tyninghame
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton
Parish: Whitekirk And Tyninghame
Traditional County: East Lothian
William Burn, 1829, incorporating 17th century mansion. 4-
storey rambling gabled and turrets U-plan baronial mansion
with 2 and 3-storey projections to E forming service court.
Squared and snecked pink rubble with stugged ashlar quoins
and pink and grey ashlar dressings. Stone mullions and
transoms. String courses.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gables to left and right of
recessed centre with tall single storey central porch
projecting further; doorway altered Schomberg Scott, 1961, in
pale pink stone with bolection moulded surround and broken
shaped pediment with armorial. Pierced strapworked parapet.
Composition masses to right. Turret set in re-entrant angle
to left with narrow slits. Stair windows to gabled centre
bay of 4 and 3-lights. Projecting rectangular multi-light
window bay at ground and 1st floor to left outer bay with
parapet, detailed as above behind 2 irregularly set gables.
2 recessed, 2-storey bays adjoined to outer left with
rectangular porch set in re-entrant angle. Scrolled ornament
to gabled dormerheads. 3-storey gabled bay advanced to left
with high walls and ashlar gatepiers to service court beyond.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: deep U-plan gabled bay at centre; 3-
storey canted parapetted window flanked by windows at 2nd
floor and gablet dormers. Stair turret set in left re-
entrant with bowed projection adjoined to 1st floor height.
W COURTYARD ELEVATION: semi-circular projecting bay at centre
flanked to left by almost blank gable with raised battered
E COURTYARD ELEVATION: stair turret off-centre to left with 2
windows flanking at centre; recessed outer bay to right with
angle stair turret and consoled strapworked balcony. S gable of
W wing with full-height projecting rectangular window bay with
parapet detailed as above. S gable of E wing with canted bay
to 1st floor height with remaining portion of consoled balustrade. Pepper pot turret to upper floors at outer right angle.
W ELEVATION: almost symmetrical with stair turret off-centre
to left with balconied window as above and corbelled eaves
course. 2 window flanking to left, 3 to right with scroll
ornamented gabled dormerheads to 4th floor breaking eaves.
Shallow gables over 2 outer windows (N and S). Small attic
windows in gable head; multi-light canted windows at ground
and 1st floor with parapet detailed as above.
Service court nestles into E elevation with doorway at
innermost point under loggia at N.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Decorative gutter heads. Grey ashlar diamond stacks, linked
or clustered, with moulded copings. Grey slates. Swept-in
conical roofs to turrets with attenuated finials. Consoled
crowsteps and skewputts to gable heads.
INTERIOR: much original and eclectic decoration retained.
Currently undergoing subdivision (1987) with the minimal
alterations necessary. Ornate plaster cornices and
plasterwork ceilings. Bolection moulded door surrounds.
Jacobean stair well with plaster soffits. Original
wallpapers. Red marble Rococo chimneypiece in gallery; white
pilastered and corniced chimneypiece in Dining Room, of 18th
century, possibly from Rushbrooke Hall, Suffolk. Chimneypiece
in white marble with garland between owl and monkey in Lady's
Drawing Room, from Elie House. John Fowler pyramidal
bookcases in latter room with William McLaren 1967 mural
landscapes in approaching passage.
TERRACES AND GARDEN ORNAMENT: terraces stepped down by S of
house with stone steps and urn finials, leading to ruins of
St Baldred's Kirk. Scheduled Monument. Stone bordered square
flower beds with base course parapet and bold consoles.
Secret Garden to W of house with fountain shielded by stone
wall, incorporating fragments from Kirk. Modern summerhouse
in "Gothick" style in timber on rubble parapet and light
trellised gazebo with bellcote cap, circa 1960. Venetian
wellhead in courtyard, dated 1556.
GATEWAY: sited to NW of house, close by walled garden. 2
rusticated red sandstone square piers with moulded cornices
and stone acorn finials. Ornate wrought-iron pedestrian gate
with overflow and flanking panels in scroll and leaf
Masonry of earlier house evident in S elevations.
1829-33 work executed by Thomas Hannan, mason. Consoled
balcony removed circa 1960 owing to structural
weakness, with fragment remaining, diminishing the
horizontal balance of the composition.
St Baldred's Kirk ruin in grounds to S serving as burial
ground for Earls of Haddington (Scheduled). Fragments
of Kirk incorporated in original stables.
Clock Tower Court, Walled Garden, Haddington Obelisk,
Dairy, Stables and Lodges listed separately. Stables
currently under conversion (1987).
Other nearby listed buildings