This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3373 / 57°20'14"N
Longitude: -4.6079 / 4°36'28"W
OS Eastings: 243127
OS Northings: 830427
OS Grid: NH431304
Mapcode National: GBR H90B.61Q
Mapcode Global: WH3FR.6V01
Plus Code: 9C9Q89PR+WR
Entry Name: St Ninian's Church, Glen Urquhart
Listing Name: Glenurquhart, St Ninians Episcopal Church
Listing Date: 8 January 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348522
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15018
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness
Parish: Urquhart And Glenmoriston
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Simple lancet window, three to north and south, three stepped to east, two to west. Round arched door possibly incorporating earlier masonry. The east windows feature abstract stained glass with a central cross designed by Emma Shipton in 1986.
V-plan oriel window in south vestry wall.
Interior: rafter and arch-braced roof, tie beam at chancel.
Altar incorporates early medieval stone with St Ninian s cross set in a panel.
Art nouveau iron work to early 20th century churchyard gate.
The ordnance survey name book for the county of Inverness dating from the 1870s records that the church had a thatched roof at that time.
Removal of the harling during conservation works in 2017 found that the church was also built using reclaimed stonework.
The stone set into the altar is said to have originated from a demolished church at the east end of Glen Urquhart and moved to St Ninian's in the 1960s.
Inverness-based Alexander Ross (1834-1925) was a foremost architect in the Highlands and Islands, building extensively in the region through the second half of the 19th and the early 20th centuries. He was particularly noted for his school buildings, and is thought to have designed around 450 of these. St Ninan's Glenurquart was the first commission of his career and the Scottish Episcopal Church went on to become one of his principal patrons. Ross's later work for the Scottish Episcopal Church included the substantial commissions of the Cathedral Church of St Andrew, Inverness, designed in 1866, (LB35330) and St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Aberlour of 1875-79, (LB20872).
Listed building record revised in 2019.