This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6382 / 55°38'17"N
Longitude: -3.1472 / 3°8'50"W
OS Eastings: 327880
OS Northings: 638887
OS Grid: NT278388
Mapcode National: GBR 63G7.FP
Mapcode Global: WH6V5.MKJ2
Plus Code: 9C7RJVQ3+74
Entry Name: North Lodges With Gates And Gate-Piers, Kailzie House
Listing Name: Kailzie, Lodges, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349050
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15440
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
1802 for Robert Nutter Campbell; altered by John Dick Peddie, 1920; further extensions later in 20th century. Pair of single storey and attic, multi-bayed, rectangular-plan classical piended lodges; screen walls attached with arched footgates leading to high octagonal gatepiers. Coursed whinstone rubble with tabbed polished ashlar dressings and rusticated long and short quoins, eaves course and moulded cornice. Ashlar footgates and gatepiers.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: 3-bay with central bay recessed and containing an architraved and corniced window, painted wrought-iron spear-headed security bars to lower sash; mutules supporting eaves course; outer bays with narrow window and blind moulded plaque above. Central segmental-headed stone dormer to attic with slated cheeks and arched roof.
SW & NE ELEVATIONS: facing drive, central architraved door with projecting cornice and shallow segmental pediment, plain window to flanks. Facing gardens, single storey, harled flat-roofed extensions with irregular modern fenestration.
SE (REAR) ELEVATIONS: central bay recessed and containing an architraved and corniced window, mutules supporting eaves course; blind walls to outer bays with high blind moulded plaque. Central segmental-arch pedimented stone dormer to attic with slated cheeks and arched lead roof.
10 and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows (smaller 6 or 8-pane upper sash with 4 larger panes to lower sash); narrow 4-pane dummy sash and case lights to NW elevations. Piended grey slate roof (pavilion-roofed) with lead ridging and flashings; flat-roofs to later extensions. Dormers with slated cheeks and segmental arched lead roof. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods with concealed gutters. Tall ashlar stack to centre of each roofline with moulded ashlar neck cope and 4 later cans; smaller harled stack to later extension of NE lodge with plain cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002 but in use as residential accommodation.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: pair of tall octagonal ashlar gatepiers with matching cornices and caps and roundel decorated friezes; vehicular access gates now missing; screen walls adjoining (and linking with lodges) containing arched pedestrian entrances with impost course, ashlar voussoirs and projecting moulded wall-cornice; painted wrought-iron gates with spear-headed dog bars, diamond detailed panel and spear-headed vertical bars forming semi-circular gate head. Low arched wing wall survives, adjoining NE lodge at N angle.
These paired lodges are part of the surviving landscape features from Kailzie House, demolished circa 1962. Kailzie was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant. It was described as a "very elegant 2-storey and basement mansion of moderate size with a bowed garden front". All that remains of the house is a small building (listed separately) that was formerly part of the courtyard buildings and a pond now marks the site of the main house. The stable / kennel block and walled garden survive and are listed separately. These lodges, set to the NW of the house, formed the main formal entrance to the estate. The main tree-lined drive led from them and through the parkland. The drive continued down between the stables/kennel block and walled garden, but a picturesque branch led over the main bridge to the house. The drive then arched south-eastwards through Kailzie Park to the picturesque E lodge (listed separately). The compact NE lodges were stylistically similar to the main house, resembling miniature versions with their tabbed quoins and dressings and eaves cornice. Dick Peddie (who was also responsible for the dormers, which take their stylistic inspiration from those found on the garden front of the demolished house) altered them. The lodges were further extended by the addition of small flat-roofed harled extensions. Listed as a good example of a pair of classical lodges.
Other nearby listed buildings