This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6353 / 55°38'7"N
Longitude: -3.1435 / 3°8'36"W
OS Eastings: 328107
OS Northings: 638567
OS Grid: NT281385
Mapcode National: GBR 63H8.7Q
Mapcode Global: WH6V5.PM87
Entry Name: Kailzie, Stable Courtyard
Listing Date: 1 March 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349051
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15441
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Circa 1811 for Robert Nutter Campbell. Single storey and attic, multi-bayed, rectangular-plan mixed-style courtyard former stable and kennel complex. 4-bay symmetrical gothic facade with projecting crenellated flanking screens and near symmetrical classical formal courtyard entrance. Coursed whinstone rubble; ashlar dressings with projecting margins and droved tails; some replacement pink ashlar lintels and surrounds. Cobbled courtyard with gravelled centre.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pair of tall rusticated ashlar gatepiers to centre with fluted friezes and ball finials; flanking walls with mutuled coping swept towards gatepiers, keystoned niche to centre of each wall. Single storey and attic, 3-bay cottage (Groom?s Cottage) adjoining to left with entrance door to centre and bipartite window with stone mullion to right bay. Adjoining to right, single storey and attic, 3-bay Courtyard Cottage with 3 regularly placed bays, central bay formerly the entrance door.
SW ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated to cottages with some attic dormers.
NW ELEVATION: low lean-to to extreme left with door to right return, large window to right with small window (former door) adjacent; hayloft dormer breaking eaves to right with timber door and slated cheeks. Near central rectangular pend (formerly segmental) leading through to courtyard. To right, Stable Cottage with 3 regularly placed bays to left with paired attic dormers, further regular fenestration to right with entrance door.
NE (PARKLAND) ELEVATION: single storey, 4-bay range to centre with surviving and blind gothic windows. To flanks, 2-storey, screen-facade crenellated towers: the left with in-filled segmental cart arch to ground floor with paired arched windows to upper storey; the right similar with much later timber doors to ground floor segmental cart arch and paired arched upper bays now blind.
NW ELEVATION: near central segmental-arched pedestrian entrance pend with paired segmental-arched cart entrances to right, both with 2-leaf timber and glazing doors. To left of pend, blind wall of range. Adjoining to extreme left, L-plan cottage (forming W angle of courtyard range) with plain skews breaking roofline and supporting stack: NW arm with window, louvred ventilator above and small window to left, large louvred ventilator; SW arm with boarded timber entrance door and long roof ventilator.
SW ELEVATION: long range with timber Dutch-doors to right, gabled canted dormer with sidelights adjacent to left. Slightly lower flat-roofed single storey, 4-bay extension of centre left with alternate window door fenestration. Piended cottage forming S courtyard angle to extreme left with flat-roofed attic dormer and further flat-roofed extension with bipartite window facing NE.
SE ELEVATION: rear of gatepiers and screen walls to centre with S angle cottage (see above) to right. To left, rear of screen wall concealed by much later timber and glazing lean-to (gift shop); adjoining to extreme left, single bay arm of E angle cottage with timber entrance door.
NE ELEVATION: 5-bay range with piended timber haylofts breaking eaves at 1st and 4th bay: former rectangular cart arch to 1st bay altered to form French windows with pair of sliding timber shutters to exterior, windows to 2nd and 3rd bays, entrance door (below hayloft) too 4th bay with window to 5th; E angle cottage adjoining to extreme right.
4, 6 and 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some multi-pane fixed windows with opening top hoppers to dormers and modern glazing to some extensions. Pitched and piended slate roof with lead ridging, flashings and valleys; some iron ventilators to roofline and cast-iron Carron lights. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Short ashlar stacks (one harled) with ashlar neck copes; decorative hexagonal cans with some later plain replacements.
INTERIOR: in use as accommodation, a gallery, a shop and tea room; some original features survive but updated to provide modern facilities.
This stable courtyard is part of the surviving landscape features from Kailzie House, demolished in 1958. Kailzie was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant. It was described as a "very elegant 2-storey and basement mansion of moderate size with a bowed garden front". All that remains of the house is a small building (listed separately) that was formerly part of the courtyard buildings and a pond now marks the spot of the main house. This range was constructed circa 1811, along with the walled garden sited adjacent to the SW. Early maps show the courtyard complex marked 'dog kennels' then merely 'kennels'. Later the complex became known as the stables. The SE elevation faced the house and (like the house) is classical in nature. This courtyard range is similar in design to Rosetta Stables (at Rosetta House, situated in Peebles Parish and also listed) with the facade towards the dovecote park and main drive having battlemented faux pavilions and surviving and painted imitation Gothic windows. Although of lesser quality than the original house, the courtyard shares stylistic similarities with it. Currently, the stables house a restaurant and tea room, a gallery and a shop as well as accommodation. Open to the public.
Other nearby listed buildings